Blackwood dash

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Blackwood dash
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 01:14 am:

The dash in my wide body roadster was blackwood, one of the accacia species. Today, the widest board I could buy was just 3.5" wide, and most have some yellow sapwood.

I bought this tabletop from a junk store. It has 4 x 8" wide planks of old growth timber. I chose the figured piece from one side to cut the dash. It matches the rest of the trim pieces around the top of the body.

The cutout on the right allows the hand brake lever to go all the way forward. The low lines of the body make this necessary. The hole is for a Corbin speedo.

For those interested, the plane is a Sweetheart Stanley no 164. I was given it to clean up for my collection.I knew it was different but had no idea of its value. If you Google Stanley 164 plane, you will understand my good fortune.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 05:31 am:

Beautiful Allan. I just don't get the "patina" craze now. There is so much beautiful wood that stays hidden underneath all of that patina(dirt). Back in the '70's and '80's, a good friend's parents stripped and restored/varnished wood furniture. They did some beautiful work. Same thing with the barn find cars now. The big thing is to leave all of the dirt and bird s**t on them and take them to a show. What a shame. I guess I'm just getting too old. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Beautiful dash
Patina craze for me I like clean it up repair it use it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Your plane looks like it has rosewood handles. Two years past I picked up a Stanley carriage makers plane for 10.00 at the local car parts swap meet. The local NAPA dealer collects Stanley he was happy to give me twenty times more for that plane.
Its fun to pick up vintage wood you just cant find old growth trees large enough to make any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Allan, that is very nice indeed--I like all the figured wood as it suggests a story of life's turmoils and distress for this beautiful old tree. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

That is a very beautiful dash and a great idea to reuse an old table to get the wood you needed.

I recently saw a no. 164 Stanley plane sell for $1600. (US dollars). I think I will go out to my shop and look at all the different Stanley planes I have and perhaps get another Model T :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 06:28 am:

Allan, A Corbin speedo is a bit flash for the D&F Roadster? Were they standard equipment? I hope you have the speedo already. I sold one on ebay last year and it would have nearly bought a good T project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 07:27 am:

"Patina" basically means plating, my question is plated with what? In cases like the Statue of Liberty the green patina actually protects it from the environment,O.K. leave it alone! With an old car clean it up and ensure it is solid and repair those areas in need but if you wish to convey the car's age and what it has survived then go no further. It can only be original once.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Warwick, my experience with Duncan and Fraser built cars is most were fitted with Corbin speedos when a speedo was fitted. I have seen quite a few over the years, both on restored cars and on un-restored wrecks. All have been the 60 mph ones. They are a much better quality unit than the Stewart variety.

It would appear that D&F offered them as options, along with other lines of accessories. Their kick plates are unique, the Wilcox-Richardson suspension kit, the extra air intake on the inlet manifold and others, were all part of their offering.

I do have all the bits to mount the kit. All I need is to get round tuit when the time comes.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration