Frame painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Frame painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Is it a good idea to powder coat a model T frame .. will it look right ..I mean will it look authentic ... thanks for any help .. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

I paint mine with Rustoleum out on my driveway, and they look just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Seen several that have been powder coated. They look great. If done with right color you can't really tell the difference. I am going to do my next one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Clyde in Cedarville CA on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

I am sure that it would look just fine if you powder coated your frame, but...1)If you ever had to do any repairs on it, it could be a problem... 2) Henry never made them that way. I could be just a prejudiced ex-welder, but I don't like that stuff. I like Larry's comment!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 02:07 am:

Powder coat is a problem with rust unless you take it 100% apart and Rivet it back together after coating. Once it starts flaking off it is a pain and can't be stopped - like peeling paint cancer rust

. Really just sandblast, then cheap shop primer and top coat

. If you want to never have a rust issue use Nason zinc oxide acid etch primer after blasting, then within 15 min. Hit with Nason black sealer, then in 15 min hit with Nason fleet black. All you need is a cheap hlvp spray gun and a small compressor with a good air mask filter and your set.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:39 am:

I've had several frames sandblasted and powder coated in satin black. They always turn out great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:20 am:

I had my 15 blasted and powdercoated and love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:23 am:

forgot to mention--the part I'd strongly recommend powdercoating is the differential housing halves. Makes cleaning so much easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Isn't it pretty hard to find a oven big enough to hold a frame for power coating? I can understand using powder coat for small parts though, having great results. Getting rid of rust is the most important step to a great paint job as mentioned already as the rust will eventually grow back under the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 08:17 am:

I'm lucky to have a powder coat shop fairly close by, they have ovens up to bedroom-size. I recently had a pair of rear radius rods and a Kelsey rim done by them, $20.00 to have all three parts blasted and coated. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Powder coated my bare frame and each chassis element individually using "mirror black". Beautiful results!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

Something most people don't think about: What exactly is "powder coat paint" ?

Powder coat is not fundamentally different from wet paint except that it is put on dry and then heated to melt it. Just a different way of applying paint to a surface. Nothing magic except that it gets around a bunch of air pollution standards.

You should be asking all the same questions that you would ask about wet paint. How is the surface prepared ? What kind of primer was used ? What is the chemistry of the paint ? Is it polyester ? Is it epoxy ? Is it polyurethane ? Is it alkyd enamel ? Did you know that you can just bake Rustoleum ? Looks great, but it's still Rustoleum.

What ? No primer ? There is such a thing as corrosion inhibiting primer for powder coat paint, same as for wet paint. But most powder coaters don't use primer because the price competition is fierce and the job looks good when it comes out of the oven, primer or no primer. That's why you are seeing comments about peeling and about rust showing up.

What about the paint chemistry ? Some paint powders are cheaper and apply easily. Just like some wet paints are cheaper and go on easily. Both wet and dry paints can look good at first but may not last.

Bottom line: Not all powder coat paints are created equal. Ask the shop exactly what they are using. They can put on a corrosion inhibiting primer for you, but they'll charge extra. Would you put wet paint on your car without primer ? I wouldn't.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Sand blast can be expensive. Having parts powder coated also includes sand blast which sometimes is cheaper compared to buying the primer and final paint. In addition, powder coating gets in to hard to get places which are difficult to get good coverage when spray painting. Powder coating seem thicker compared to painted surfaces which helps hide rust pits. Powder coat seems more chip resistant compared to paint. I like it!
Just my thoughts......others may not agree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:23 am:

To answer your question "will it look authentic", yes.

Also, powder coat will loose it's gloss and flatten out too. It will look like enamal paint. If it gets chipped you could have it paint matched, put in a spray can, and sand down the chips and spray can the repair hen buff out the edges.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Powder coating hate grease, you will have to have your frame sand blasted then de-greased then powder coated. Otherwise you can have "fish eyes" in the paint due to grease projections when the powder is heated.And you always have grease between the different elements of the frame.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration