Fan pulley reservoir oil.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fan pulley reservoir oil.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Does anyone know what the proper wt. of oil is that's used in the later (25) fan pulley reservoir. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine with new shaft, bushings and felt. One of the reasons I'm asking is that somewhere along the line someone installed a Zerk fitting where the plug was located and was using grease, often filling it to the point that the grease bypassed the felt seal, We all know what happens to all of the excess grease. I believe the pully/hub originally held oil correct?

Thanks in advance guys.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Some use grease (me) some use chain bar oil or 600W or rear end lube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 07:34 am:

I just put new bushings in my 23 fan hub, and lubricated it with John Deere corn head grease. Corn head grease is a thin grease that turns into a thick gear oil under load. I will see how it works out after I get some miles on it.
Here is the youtube video;

https://youtu.be/UEwk_sYP6A8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:16 am:

I wonder how well that would work in a T rear axle center section if you could only seal it into the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:38 am:

I just use regular 30 wt. engine oil in mine, and probably fill the reservoir about 1/3. This is only a guess, because I can't see it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Thanks everyone.

The bushings are Oilite bronze, seeing how the shaft is center bored with an intersecting hole between the bushings and the fact that there is a reservoir, oil should work out fine. I think I'll try 30 wt. first.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

I think your plan to use 30 wt. oil is sound. As per the attached drawing, the oil needs to be thin enough to flow through the small hole in the center of the shaft that empties out in the space between the bushings. I don't think 600 wt. grease will allow for that. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Thanks Jim! Nice illustration too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration