OT - New FTC rules on phone scams

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - New FTC rules on phone scams
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

(And 'Caller ID' is wonderful!)
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/phone-fraud-gets-harder-ftc-bans-paymen t-methods-favored-crooks-n471401

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

I certainly agree that Caller ID is wonderful. It makes it pretty easy (not perfect) to spot unwanted calls. It seems like yesterday that I was thinking how great it would be if my phone would display the number of the caller. It didn't even consider the possibility of the name too.

We've come a long way, but unfortunately so have the crooks. Keep up your guard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

" it will help reign in the problem". Do they really think that? They need Stan to prufread for them!
Allan, ex grade school teacher, from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

Anyone ever get an outside call that comes from your own phone number. That one made me scratch my head and wound up being a solicitation. Don't answer if it is your own number being displayed on the caller ID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Tom,
Yup, I've seen my own number on the caller ID. A real attention getter was once the caller ID showed a phone number I didn't recognize and identified the caller ad "GOD". Made me laugh pretty hard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Caller ID is actually part of the problem.

For landline phones, you must pay to subscribe to caller ID and number blocking.

The phone company could probably very quickly and easily eliminate a majority of nuisance phone calls - robocalls and "Rachel from Card Services" - but don't count on it. If they did, they wouldn't be able to make money from caller ID and number block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Had the Sheriff's Office call me yesterday, the caller ID had Their non-emergency number displayed and when I answered I was informed that I had failed to show for Jury duty but if I sent them $500.00 by Western Union they could "Fix" it and make sure I never got another jury selection notice again. I called him a stupid Liar and hung-up. The police have not visited me yet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Same as junk mail. The post office could help in not filling up your trash can but it would cut into their profit. A phone company is not going to stop calls from going thru. that is their income.And then they charge us to be able to screen and or block them.Money from both sides of the fence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Yah, we probably do pay for the 'Caller ID', but most providers include it as part of their 'bundle' pricing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Since when have crooks obeyed the rules? The risk of being caught hasn't scared them in the past.

The only way this will work is if the called person knows it's a scam and hangs up. So what has changed? I didn't see anything about it on the news and the rules were passed some time ago. So the effort by the FTC makes their job easier for prosecution but doesn't help the consumer. What a waste of time.

I've never known the government to go after hard convictions. The scammers are hard to find. They always go for the easy ones. That may mean if you do get scammed and pay by the methods outlawed, they may come after you. You're still the easy target.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

The real problem is not that folks are getting scammed. Most folks aren't that stupid.

The problem is getting up to a dozen nuisance phone calls a day regardless if you lift the receiver once the phone starts ringing. It's only going to get worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

-Ken-
They're trying to let people (the consumer) know that those payment types/methods are illegal. 'Education' so we don't fall in the pit!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 12:34 am:

The National Do Not Call Registery is a joke, too. I've registered with both the one for land lines and the one for cell phones and still get calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 04:43 am:

I get calls from places I never heard of. Some
ring & ring till the phone smokes. So I take
the phone off the hook period. Back in the day
when the phone rings pick up the receiver and
lay it down and go to bed that use to cripple
the caller until I put the receiver back, don't
know if that works now- suppose not......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:12 am:

I am of the belief that our government has inadvertently published a fantastic database for these scammers. What better way to obtain a list of known good phone numbers than going to our government and obtaining a list of our home phone numbers which we all entered into the database.

I too am getting constant calls from these clowns. When they call, I enter their numbers into my answering machine's base so they're blocked the next time. In the mean time, as a favor to all of you, I have set my answering machine to only pick up after eight rings. This means their robot or call center is tied up for 30 or more seconds trying to get me to pick up. I don't wear my hearing aids at home so it really doesn't bother me. I probably should ask the missus if this bothers her.

I just wrote my state representative after she sent me her Fall 2015 Update for Seniors. She pointed out if we don't want these calls, we should register with the government's do not call database. I replied and asked her if her staff is completely ignorant of the problem. I also offered her my blocked caller list so she can Google each number and see all the solar power, cruise sellers, and magistrates bothering me. I'm eagerly waiting for her response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

I just tell them "I don't do business with people who call me on the phone!" If I want someone's services, I will call them.

Just a few minutes ago I got a call from someone who is "giving away 20 free alarms" How do I know whether they would be casing our home to see what they might take? I told her,"There is nothing free. This is a scam!" and hung up.

The best way to get rid of these people is not to do business with ANY of them. If I have time, sometimes I drag them along for a while and then tell them I am just trying to keep them from bothering anyone else. If I don't have time I just hang up on them. If they try to shout over me, I shout right back and then hang up.

If they speak with a noticeable accent, I say I can't understand them, Please transfer me to someone who can speak English! This is especially true when someone says, "I'm John Smith or Jeff Jones, and He sounds like he should be Ghandi or some foreign sounding name.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

HI! This is Jason from GE home security! How are you doing? LOL :-)

GE Home Security was a real company but was sold to someone else and they are still using that name.

I didn't have my new land line a week and was getting calls. It even has the same number as my cell phone after I moved it to the land line. I had to go to dial up for a while till things pickup. I think that the only way I could have started getting call within the week is if the phone Co sold the number to the marketers.

I have the answering machine on 7/24 and if I get a call outside of when I normally might I let the machine pick up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration