Clear coating brass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clear coating brass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Does clear coating brass do any good ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

For any part that gets hot, clear coating may not hold up very well. Possibly others know from experience(?) I'm not familiar with all types of clear coating. Bare brass is easier to clean than burnt lacquer. JMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

I would much rather polish bare brass a dozen times than have to remove a clear coat once after the brass it covers has tarnished. A clear coat may preserve the shine a long time, but eventually there's hell to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

My experience is that clear coated brass corrodes under the coating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Bad Idea Jeans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

Best just polish it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

I'm doing an experiment right now on some copper fuel lines that I had made incorrectly for another project. I bought some spray lacquer that is made for coating brass music instruments. Polished up the lines, coated them with a couple coats of the lacquer, and left them laying on the shop floor. They've been there for about two years now and still look pristine.

Things like trumpets, trombones, etc. seem to stay shiny almost indefinitely, so I reasoned that the same coating might work for us. So far, so good. But I wouldn't think about trying it on anything that gets hot or that sits outside all the time.

By the way, my location has a moderately corrosive atmosphere. Five miles inland from the Pacific Ocean.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

The lacquer (epoxy) that is applied to brass musical instruments is baked. That's why it holds up so well.

You could do the same to automobile brass if you wanted it to hold up.

However, lacquered brass never looks as good as highly polished un-lacquered brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Try a can of Gunk Gasket Remover. Spray, let set a few seconds, wipe off, wash with solvent like lacquer thinner, Polish, re-coat.
Excuse spell check..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I believe instrument baked lacquer will not hold up to heat and UV light. I've also been told not all lacquer is created equal. I have had a few horns repaired at an instrument repair shop, and they lacquered them without my knowledge. So far, so good, however both horns have not been in heat or sunlight for long periods.

As Steve says, there will be hell to pay, removing lacquer is no fun....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:11 am:

rob! can we get an address for that repair shop that will work on old horns,thanks charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:42 am:

High end restorers often have the brass parts gold plated. Veteran Auto Lamps offers that on their reproductions.

http://www.veteranautolamps.com/Rushmore%20Head%20Lamps.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:15 am:

I coated all the brass parts on my '15 Touring using a product called "Perma-Lac." Polished each part on a buffing wheel and sprayed with the rattle can. Everything except the radiator turned out great and stayed that way for many years. I have since sold the car so don't know the condition of the lacquer now.

I lacquered the radiator 3 times and never did get a satisfactory result, but I didn't mind polishing the radiator when that was all I had to polish. Removing the lacquer from the radiator after the botched attempts to coat it wasn't a big deal. Lacquer thinner dissolves it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:15 am:

Charley, the address is:

The Horn Works
5750 S. 77th Street
Ralston, NE 68127

Phone :
402-259-5655

If you send something, it's best to check in once in a while. From experience, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, in other words, I've had things sit on the shelf, until I checked in on them. We have a Model T guy in the area who would probably check up on occasion if you send them something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:41 am:

I took brass parts to a pro polish shop here in Cinti, where the shop warned that no known lacquer application would be permanent when exposed to humidity. Supposedly lacquer's hygroscopic nature aggravates this. Was also told that other clear-coat options like enamel and urethane possess better moisture barrier, but these do not have the same quality of clarity. I have seen "gold wash" applications on customized cars as mentioned, but have also notice that this too will eventually degrade when exposed to the elements, but does appear to hold up longer
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 02:38 am:

I had my radiator shell brass and clear coated 6 months. I see how it hold up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen -- Ham Lake, MN on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:00 am:

There's always the option of not polishing at all.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration