Will 26/27 steering column support bolt up to wood firewall?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Will 26/27 steering column support bolt up to wood firewall?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

I've got a 26/27 sterring colum that I'm trying to use in my 1915 Light Patrol Car. Looks like hole in wooden dash/firewall that I will need to dismount steering column and slide in through hole. Steering column has stampedd or welded mounting plate for 26/27 cowl.

Will this bracket bolt to my wood dash/firewall? Or will the length be off and I will need to invest in earlier steering column?

I'm not to the point of installing anything yet, but wanted to know what parts I will need to ask Santa for. This LPC will be a Model T salad, so being period correct is not a priority. Safety, however, is.

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

There is a slight angle difference between early columns and the 26-27. They will bolt up to your dash,but I would do a dry fit to make sure you're not binding something up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

The lower bearing assembly is at a lower angle and it is moved close to the frame. The bolt pattern to the frame is also different. If you are using the earlier lower unit then you will ring that the tube mounting flange doesn't fit properly as mentioned above

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Don't know if it changes anything, but the frame is NOT 26/27, but is an early 21 frame.

I suppose I can dry fit the firewall prior to any restoration and see if it will work. I can at least measure the height and the angle of the current column to approximate if it will fit the hole in the 15 dash/fiirewall. l.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Robert, to come at this another way, why not fit the 26-7 shaft and planetary gears in an earlier column? You will have the better ratio steering and not have any problems with things matching up.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

A few years ago, my son bought a 1922 touring that had a wood firewall that had completely de-laminated. We changed it to a low metal firewall. When it came time to put the steering column in, we used an early 1926 column with the square flange and the 5 to 1 gears, because it was much nicer than the column we took out. It fit perfectly and the only way you can tell is by the square flange. The earlier 1926 column has the arm lower for the gas rod for the NH carburetor rather than higher up for the vaporizer rod that goes over the engine like the later 1926-27. I think that we had left the old frame bracket in place, too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration