OT - Leather belting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Leather belting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:17 am:

From time to time I see many posts of T-powered farm machinery using leather belts for power transmission.

There is a company here in New Hampshire that still makes such things....just in case one of you Forum readers is interested in a belt (or apparently some other leather products), here's the link to a recent newspaper article:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/19687992-95/even-a-technology-as-old-as-leath er-power-transmission-belts-can-still-be-a

I have no connection to this company - merely a reader of the newspaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Dave: Thanks for sharing. I see Page Belting offers leather cupped washers for hand tire pump applications, and round leather belts like the one in the old Sioux valve grinders. I have no connection to Page Belting, just a reader of this forum. jb
http://www.pagebelting.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:36 am:

I wonder at what point they went from the leather belt to the rubber/canvas belting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

The new woven cotton belt was first drawn on St. Patrick's Day 1917, so it's likely that by June of that year all cars used it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

So I would surmise that that would be about the same time as they went to that type belting for industrial/power transmission use also.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration