Computer problems with forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Computer problems with forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

recently changed computer to a state of the art version with windows 10. Now when I hit the back button to get out of a post, it puts the computer into a perpetual thinking mode. If I click on the Forum 2015 title, it goes back. Since everything else I have works with the back button would like this to work with it also. Have tried reloading the forum several times and makes no difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

I have the same problem with the new MS Edge browser in Windows 10. It will eventually back up, but takes a couple of minutes. I hope there is a cure for this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyde Eckley on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Same thing here, I wish I hadn't done the "upgrade". I have found though that after you open the site, click on the little emblem at upper far right of the screen, then choose "open with internet explorer". It will then reopen and work as always. So far I can't seem to figure out how to get internet explorer back as my default browser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

My iPad kind of sits and thinks on it when I hit the back button too, but only some of the time. Weird.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Time marches forward.
Going back is very hard to do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

I just upgraded to 10 and using a web site recommended on the forum I turned off all the stuff it said caused trouble surfing. I use Firefox and the back button works instantly on this forum. Search the forum for Windows 10 discussion, lots of help full info. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Too late for many at this time, but something to remember for future "upgrades"....

Many years ago I was told by a very good P/C builder to NEVER upgrade to a new operating system on an older computer. If you want to have the latest version of a system, to avoid frustration, buy a new machine with the system already installed.

And what Pat just said...past posts describe how to get Win 10 functioning better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Dennis...the cure is called an IMac! So happy I finally bit the budget bullet and got one. Never go back to a Microsoft computer again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

To make Internet Explorer your default browser in Windows 10:
Open in Edge. On the top right you will find three dots ... click here and and down the list you will see "open with Internet Explorer". Click here then after the page comes up in Internet Explorer....
Click on Tools, then Internet Options, the look for "Make Internet Explorer the default browser".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Edge browser is quirky. Install Firefox. No more problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Use firefox as your default browser, you'll be a happier camper!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Lautenschlager on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

I experienced the same problem after upgrading to windows 10. switched to google chrome and problem resolved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

-Excellent 'Call', Jay!-
I've been using Firefox for a while. Better performance pulling up Yahoo, and on sites password protected, you can choose to delete browsing history from 5 minutes to 2 hours to 24 hours. Provide some peace of mind when doing bank statements, shopping on line, or any of your password protecteds.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Same here Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

'Yahoo' suggested either Firefox or Google Chrome to solve issues with them.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

That's what you get for buying Windows. :-) Never again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Jim,

I just replicated your problem on my machine with Win 10 and Edge. Like Jay I use Firefox as my default browser and I don't have any browsing issues with the forum, or any other site. Edge just isn't mature yet and will probably have some issues for some time. This link will help you learn how to export to IE, then you can export to any browser. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-ex port-favorites-from-edge/b2059c3f-a833-46f1-9c20-47d9e584d1fe?page=3&auth=1

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:47 am:

For those who think a Mac will solve all their problems ..... not so.

I consult and repair computers for a living and I'll be the first to admit that GENERALLY Macs have less problems, but when they do, it can get really expensive very quickly.

A recent example: a lady who had been a previous customer (PC) bought a Mac. Served her well for two years and after a power outage it booted to a "password required" screen. She had no password that she put in, so she called me for help (after the Mac store gave her a phone estimate of $500 to fix the problem). I said sure I can get that password off .... but not so. Seems its part of a special security system put on by the factory and only a dealer (closest dealer to her is about 60 miles) can get it off. Turns out that even the dealer himself can't fix the problem. He has to have the machine in his shop where he links it to the factory and THEY can finally help. AND the factory will only do this IF you have proof of purchase! (What % of you have proof of purchase for a machine you bought 2 or 5 years ago ?)

Long story short, she threw a $1600 Mac in the trash and bought a $400 Windows machine.

Don't want to get into a pissing contest about which platform is better, they both can be very good and they do tend to have different problems.

PC (Windows) owners could solve 75% of their problems if the just wouldn't download stuff or would thoroughly investigate any download the do have to have. Apple has solved THIS problem by pretty much insisting that you get your apps (programs) from the apple store, where they are vetted first. Point for Apple (but also a restriction that keeps you from some cool programs).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Thanks to all on this subject. Glad to know I am not alone and there are workable options to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Interesting. My hard drive stuffed it in a few days ago. I installed a new drive yesterday and cannot retrieve anything from the old one. So I installed Windows 10 upgrade. It came with Edge. I should have researched here. After an hour with Edge I absolutely hated it and it's problems. It did let me surf the web to research new browsers and I installed Firefox. Much faster, no glitches, and according to the reviews much more secure.

I didn't try this site on Edge so I can't comment about the problem you folks have been having... it works fine for me now.

Terry H.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

Yes, I agree that Apple products are also capable of going south very expensively. That's one of the many reasons I keep and file ALL receipts. It takes a few minutes most days, but saves a lot of hassle when you do need a receipt.

My preference for Macs is not because they never fail, because they do, but because their routine daily use is easier for me. My unhappy experience with a Windows laptop was fraught with seemingly random malfunctions and inconveniences that the Macbook Pro that replaced it has not given me. I bought the HP to take with me when traveling and I don't recall a trip with it when it didn't betray me in some way or another. The last straw came in March of 2014. The day before I was to leave for Chickasha I attempted to start the laptop and got nothing but a black screen. I took the machine to a local computer repair shop. Two days later the repair guy phoned me in Chickasha and told me there was nothing wrong with it. I was happy to sell it to him for a hundred bucks. When I got home I went online a bought a used Macbook Pro for $300. It has gone with me on every trip since. So far it has been easy to use, has done what I wanted it to (there's a change!), and hasn't failed. When it finally does expire, I expect I'll get another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Easy... Buy a Chromebook if you just browse and do email $160.00 Updates the OS automatically and has built-in virus protection.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration