Old Photo - Inside A Model T Repair shop 1924

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Inside A Model T Repair shop 1924
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:14 am:

The way they're standing around, that rearend job must be paying by the hour!

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:18 am:

"Kaupang", is a Norwegian name. Not too surprising as this was taken in Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Taking a Lutefisk break?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

I have a press just like the one in that shop, only theirs is new looking. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Perhaps it's just me, but notice the two tools encircled on the left wall.
KRW HCCT and KRW Magneto recharging and battery charger.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:28 am:

In those days an auto repair shop would have to be able to rebuild Model T coils and batteries. Any good garage would have a hand cranked or motorized coil tester.

The Model T battery could be disassembled after the acid was dumped out. The plates could be scraped to remove built up corrosion, and the case cleaned out. Then the battery was reassembled, and new acid installed.

On the work bench to the left you can see six or seven batteries that have been rebuilt. They are wired in parallel and being charged. That way the shop could simply exchange a rebuilt battery for your old one that would not hold a charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:26 am:

Think about what happened every 8 days in that shop?

Who was the guy that had to hop up on the bench and wind the damn clock?

Either the floor was really clean or it was awash in motor oil to make is so shinny.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

I have two working Tunger chargers from the era. They will each charge six batteries at a time. One has a pin you put in different holes depending on the number of batteries you're charging. Great old chargers. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

There are at least six batteries in a row on the bench at the left of the photo maybe even 8.

My father owned the service center for Standard Oil Service Stations and Chevron Dealers in the Pacific Northwest. Each station had 1 bench top charger, and when they changed over to transformer chargers, the bulb style were sent to his service center for scrapping.

As a kid I had to scrap Tungar Bulb battery chargers. Each bench top charger had 2 charging bulbs.

It was great fun to remove the bulbs and drop them off of a balcony and watch them explode when they hit the concrete floor. As the bulbs were vacuum filled they made a great explosion when they hit.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

Now I know why the bulbs are hard to find! PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

Does anybody know if Model T shops would try to recharge the magnets in the car instead of pulling the engine to dissemble the flywheel for a redo?
I just did a quick check of the Ford service manual and it seems to say to replace the magnets.

Royce mentioning the batteries got me to thinking about services Ford shops would or would not do.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration