22 touring trans pedals question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 22 touring trans pedals question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Ok, on my 22 touring engine off, when i push the pedal for low speed it easily hits floor without any tension. The hand lever is in full forward position at this time.
and the reverse pedal will not move more than an inch forward. although I haven't forced hard, i just thought it used to go forward halfway before band grabbed.
im afraid to start the darn thing now!
i checked hand lever linkage underneath and its free of pedal and brake rods are doing good job when pulled back.

Any replies for both pedals acting crazy?
havent pulled trans lid cause i was hoping I'm just missing something
Greg p

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Greg, The low pedal sounds like you need to take up the wear in the band, or replace the low band. If it goes to the floor, it might stick there, and then you would have to pull it up to stop. When you have the inspection cover off, you will be better able to see what might be troubling the Reverse pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

With the hand brake pulled halfway so the low pedal goes down to midway position, is the engine free to spin then or the car free to push without the engine spinning?

Maybe you have something wrong with the bands like the low band in need of adjustment or worn out and the end of the reverse band folded over.. so I think it would be best to open the inspection lid on the transmission cover (="hogshead") and check what it looks like in there. Did you drive the car before? Did something happen when you drove it last time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

And don't drop anything inside when the lid is off.. Take the ignition key out if it's above :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Greg, check to see if the low band adjustment rod and nut have loosened up and backed out on the right side of the trans. If not pull the cover and take a pic if possible, its always easier to diagnose for people here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

thanks everyone.
Ill be in the shop tomorrow.
Roger i check tomorrow and reply. Thanks for key awareness, I'm pretty prone to bloody knuckles. banged head and dropping parts into unreachable places. I even got one of those cameras with 3 foot flexible head.

ill take pics and try to load them of bands. Ive had trouble in the past uploading pics.
Thanks all
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Check the "ramps" on the pedal and the case to make certain they aren't worn out too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:08 am:

If the reverse and low pedals worked correctly recently, and then suddenly this change ocurred, you need to remove the inspection plate and look at the bands. This is what might have happened. Some of the lining came off the low band and got stuck under the reverse band. Notice I said might have happened. You also need to check very closely the low drum for cracks. If it is cracked, it will shred the band lining very quickly. and the shreds can go anywhere including the oil line to the front of the engine.

Anyway, before you panic, take a good look. It might just need an adjustment of both bands. You need to take the cover off anyway to adjust the reverse band.

If the reverse has always been tight but the low has gradually gotten looser, it might just need to be adjusted.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:20 am:

The car was driven once by me in low gear into my box truck. It was pushed out so reverse was never tested. its been sitting a year while another project is in progress, and i just got the bug up my rear end to get this one out due to the nice weather we here on east coast have been having. 50s and high 60s most of november.
67 yesterday( sorry midwest) .
noticed the problem two weeks ago and quickly forgot. Im going to open her up this afternoon and check it out.
By the way Iv done simple things to my tees but never anything technical so please bare with me on terminology's.
Thanks for all help
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

There might not be any problem. The low should be tight with the pedal 1" to 1 1/2" above the floorboard. If so, it is OK. If it hits the floorboard it should be tightened by adjusting the bolt at the right side of the hogs head. Turn in 1/2 turn and check again. It should not be adjusted tighter than 1 1/2" above the floorboard because it should not drag in neutral or with the brake on or when in high or reverse. Sometimes the reverse pedal is adjusted higher because it is hard to get the foot between the low and brake pedals and there is more movement in the reverse pedal, but it should still move considerably when you push it in. When everything is adjusted properly, you should be able to push the car in neutral without turning the engine and also should be able to crank the engine in neutral without moving the car. The engine should idle in neutral without moving the car. Note, when the engine is first started and is cold there could be a slight forward movement caused by clutch disks dragging due to thick oil. But it should not drag when warmed up.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

OK,

Norman i think you are right, i opened up the inspection plate and removed oil screed and looked in. There is new kevlar on all three (bands?). They look brand new and tinted green in color. I was told by seller that work was done to the car but took that with a grain of salt. The screen was clear of any debris. Reverse pedal is moving about 2 inches when pushed and i can see the bands tighten around drum. Brake is fine and low is not hitting the floor but is loose. I tightened low a half turn and I'm 1 inch from floor board.
False alarm guys
Reverse makes sense cause I'm a size 12 boot and having reverse tight like it is will be helpful.
Thank all of you
Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 09:10 am:

I really like the reverse pedal extension produced by Tom Strickling, the major vendors carry it:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3439EX.aspx

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration