Old Photo- WW1 in France. Australian War Memorial

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo- WW1 in France. Australian War Memorial
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 04:51 am:

Caption- "BAPAUME, FRANCE, 1918. A BRITISH MARK IV TANK, THE WORD HENRY PAINTED ON ITS SIDE, WITH A T-MODEL FORD MOTOR CAR USED BY THE YMCA"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Love it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages, ACT Australia on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

They have just put a German WW1 tank on display at the Aus War Memorial.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 05:48 am:

I understand it's the only remaining German tank from WWI. I think the story goes that the Germans got it stuck in the mud in no-man's land and abandoned it, so the Brits thought it would be great to go and fetch it and they did! Hail Britannia!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:25 am:

Model t looks a little worse for wear (headlights, radiator etc) I hope someone kept it after the war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Appears to be a '13 or '14, missing side lamps and gas lamps converted to electric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Looks to be LHD but has British style conversion to carry a demountable spare wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Or is the photo reversed? There appears to be a letter N wrong way round painted on the turret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

The Ford script on the radiator top tank can be seen by zooming in and a little change in contrast etc. So the photo is not reversed (assumes no one did any photo shopping etc. before we looked at it.) I cannot see if the windshield brackets are straight (generally 1913) or curved (generally 1914) but there was some overlap when the 1914 style windshield was used at the end of the 1913 model year.

We can also see that there are not any hinges on the dummy left hand door. So USA body and NOT Canadian or UK. A lot of parts were salvaged and cars built up from available parts.

My all time favorite WWI Model T photo is the one below and it is seen in many books etc. My notes say "Australian War Museum collection-- photo taken in Belgium.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

(Message edited by Hap_tucker on December 03, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

I had a bit of a hard time finding the name "Henry" on the tank because my tablet screen isn't all that compatible with my bad eyesight. But I finally found it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 04:22 am:

Hap, here are a couple more photos of that car-

Caption for both- "Members of 3 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, with a skeletal Ford Model T car, Bailleul, France, 1917"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 06:00 am:

Is that car propelled by BEANS?

The driver eats beans and then sits over the canister to produce gas to propel the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 06:16 am:

Dane,

Thank you so much for adding the additional photos. Model Ts were and still are very tough cars.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart. Bakersfield, Calif. on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Those are really great photos. To be able to go back in time, even for an hour to witness those two events would be great.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration