Engine assy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Engine assy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ronnie jones on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:21 am:

what direction does piston pin bolt face twd cam or away from cam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Don't think it really matters tecnically - especially on a std 20 hp car but most restorers puts the bolt away from cam so the thrust force doesn't come so close to the split. The pistons would then have their splits also facing away from the cam, so the main side thrust goes on the unsplit side - piston direction might make more difference?

Here's one of several earlier threads: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/334568.html?1357965611

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Most of the ones I've seen have the wrist pin bolt facing the cam side. It probably doesn't really matter, but that seems to be the norm. The split side of the piston goes away from the cam, as Roger noted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:32 am:

^ wow I'm glad I just read about the new wrist pin bolts breaking..., now how do I tell if I have originals or reproductions?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 02:03 am:

Fitting the rod backwards runs the risk of breaking the bolt and/or the rod. Fit them as Ford instructed, and by design for max strength, bolt to the cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:44 am:

Thanks for that, Frank. I know that's the way I've usually seen them, and the way most folks I know do them. I'll keep doing it the way Henry told us to. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Great info, I have always put the dippers and the cam bolt facing the cam,how I was taught. Pray for San Bernardino.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:08 am:

That would be Rod Bolt faces cam.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration