OT - Henry Ford's first license plate. Guess what the number was?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Henry Ford's first license plate. Guess what the number was?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

How appropriate! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

That reminded me of a story from a number of years ago (when you went inside the station with your credit card and it was run through a mechanical device that put the impression of the card onto a charge slip). A governor of Missouri was on his way back to Jefferson City with his Highway Patrol driver and they stopped for gas. The governor went inside with his card while the driver filled the tank. In those days, you had to add your license number to the charge slip. As the governor was preparing to sign, the driver walked in and the governor asked him, "What's our license number?" The driver looked at him and said, "Uh... 1, Governor." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Here is a good reference for you regarding automobile registration in Detroit which became effective on December 1, 1903:

http://licenseplates.tropikordia.com/prestatelocal.asp?State=Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Hi Rob,

The next time you are in the BFRC look for Mr. Ford's Canadian 1906 license registration for his Model N in the Fairlane Papers. Check out the serial number of the car!

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

Trent,
Is it this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Is there any hint then that Mr.Ford hung onto Model T 999 and is it known to exist today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Erik,

Interesting web site, although their data does need some checking. From inception in 1903 to sometime in 1910 Ford Motor Company was wholly within the City of Detroit. Sometime in 1910 they moved to the new Highland Park Plant, just north of the City of Detroit. During World War I, Ford started producing Eagle Boats for the Navy at a new plant in Dearborn called River Rouge Plant. This is in the 1917-17 time frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Dave,

Maybe.........

April 29, 1909:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Rob,

No, it was a Model N.

Trent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Trent,

The car that is the subject of the article "Lancia wants 999" is Model N 999.

Thanks,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Trent,

A little more checking. The article says Mr. Ford took a newly completed 999 (N) to the Vanderbilt races. The races were held in early October, 1906. I see from your database research N #991 is listed on October 5, so #999 may very well have been completed in this timeframe.

Rob

(Message edited by Rob on December 02, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christian on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

One can only sympathize with the design of J. S. Hunterís number 992.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

Christian,
A curious name for the make.....:-)

I collected all the licenses, 1 - 1,000 as reported in the Detroit Free Press. If anyone would like to look at or copy them, open this Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvgpcxfca26t51r/1904%20Detroit%20Reg.pdf?dl=0

If you know of anyone with an early Detroit car and known owner, they may be able to verify the original owner, and original license number.

A few excerpts. C. H. Wills had one of the earliest Ford registrations:

Edison Illuminating Co. Had a few Ford's registered too:

About 80 of the first 1,000 cars registered in Detroit were Ford's (8%). I thought this was pretty good for a company that had only been in business a little over a year.

(Message edited by Rob on December 03, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

There that word is again[Doing's].I can remember a couple of old timers talking of going to the doing's!! Keep up the good work please and thank's Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

"Guess what the number was"....I didn't even get a chance to guess and you already printed the answer! And I wanted to win the lollypop for getting the correct answer. :-( so now I won't have anything to put under my Christmas tree this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 12:09 am:

Bud,
Always a lot of "doings" around the holidays.

Denny,
No problem. You may try to guess what the plate number was on Mr. Ford's Model K. I think I have a photo of it, but that's for another thread.
Happy Holidays
:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration