Who makes this Warford Transmission Support ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Who makes this Warford Transmission Support ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/warford-transmission-support

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

I don't know who makes it. But I have one and installation was relatively easy and it seem to do a good job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

That looks like a nice support, but I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the frame if not really needed. Supports can be made to clamp on the frame very easily. JMHO.Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:49 am:

I've made similar ones using 2"x 1" channel iron and a rubber donut from a '55 Chevy motor mount, for a lot less money than that. They work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 01:03 am:

I really wonder if they are worthwhile?
I mean they will support the rear of the transmission but only to the extent of the stiffness of the chassis, which we all know is like spaghetti.
Just wondering, better than thinking about San Bernardino.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

I can tell you this. If you have to remove the engine, you don't have to take the Warford with it. Just use wire or something to support the front of the Warford. Makes the job much easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

I think the idea of a support is a good one, however we become involved in which ideology to follow;
by adding a cross member it helps stiffen the frame,
but the frame was meant to be flexible.
Ford had a similar problem with the earlier F100 pickups where he counter levered the transmission off the bell housing so as not to run a tranny cross member which would prevent frame flex.

I think I'd make my own support and save $295 plus shipping...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

On my daughters touring, we have a modern warford and I was very concerned about the chassis flex on the engine/transmission/warford assembly so I prevailed on Les Schubert to make me one of his flexible driven shafts. The are beautifully machined and allow about five degrees of movement, which I am sure is greater than will ever occur. This way all the bending of the drive train is essentially isolated from the crankshaft. So far so good...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Godard on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 12:29 am:

I have a Chicago, not a Warford, but I think you could do something similar. No drill drilling required and it does support the gearbox without adding undo stress on the frame and motor as I don't believe you'd be able to transmit undo stress into them via the relatively small u-bolts and wooden blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 12:43 am:

My Muncie simular spring loaded U bolts with cross bar simular to the Chicago trans setup don't think it's orginal but seems to work ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 03:55 am:

Allen's trans. support is for a Chicago three speed trans. for a TT. It is just like the one on my TT, but of course the blocks aren't needed on it. I like the way it mounts to the frame. No measuring and no holes to drill. On the Chicago, the support bolt in the center has a spring on both the top and bottom so you can adjust it for how much weight you want it to hold. Works great. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration