Another 27 coupe top question .

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Another 27 coupe top question .
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:14 am:

The weather has warmed up considerably here in the last few days and I was able to install the top wood kit I purchased from another club member. The custom fit wasn't great but after some adjustments it turned out fairly good.I have a top kit manufactured by Carfouche and in the instructions it calls for chicken wire as a base. Did Ford use chicken wire on the 27 top or did Ford use something else? I also remember an earlier thread where someone advised installing the headliner before installing the roof material, can anyone confirm? As always any and all help is greatly appreciated. Harv.toptop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:30 am:

I used bird wire with the smaller holes.
I think it was mentioned on the other thread that no wire was used originally but I am not 100% sure of the fact either way.

I purchased a kit from Mac's and that did not mention wire but a calico sheet came in the kit which I figured was the inside lining but did not see how it was meant to be installed, so I left it out and when I got my custom trim done, I had the guy install a nicer inside roof lining which I am very happy with albeit not stock original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Harvey, no chicken wire was used in '27. Also keep in mind before you put the top on the headliner should be put in. Doing of the headliner is much easier without the top because you can get to both inside and out to work out the wrinkles...just a fyi..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Looks like you did a nice job on the wood!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Thanks Don, the headliner will be today's adventure. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

I posted this on the previous thread but make sure you don't staple down the batting or foam, as it creates little dimples in the finished top. I would tack it down with some spray adhesive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Thanks Michael. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Harvey,
So, you were able to get those side pieces to lay down OK? I thought they might. The kit has been 'laying about" for at least a decade! At least the wood is 'seasoned' eh?
Yes, do the headliner first--seems backwards from other cars, but it is a T! :-)
Then you can either use small chicken wire or not, then the piece of plain fabric gets stretched on, then the filler--I prefer quilting dacron, others use cotton (original material) or foam & has been said, if you tack it down, the tacks will likely "telegraph" through the top material, and that's your next step. End the filler at the edge of the roof, don't carry it over the side.
Then, if you have them, the rain gutters over the doors are nailed on, then the fold-over welt covers all the tacks, and ends at the rain gutters & for the final bit, the nail covers for the gutters go on and they are longer than the gutters to cover the ends of the fold-over welting.
Cover longer than gutter-picture of my unrestored '26 Tudor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

David, The wood went on OK, It took me about a day of straightening and sanding to get everything to fit together but I think it came out very acceptable. I started the head liner this morning but only got about half done before my neighbors called and asked if I would go shopping for them. They don't get around very well so I put the top project on hold until tomorrow. I should be able to finish the headliner tomorrow and hopefully start on the roof by Saturday. I'll post some pictures of the headliner tomorrow if I finish. I'm old so I don't move as fast as I once did. Thanks again for all your help. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Maybe take some progress pic's that can be used by others into the future when this question arises again as I am sure it will...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 06:05 am:

I like David's idea of using Dacron(polyester). I just got some from Wally World yesterday. Looks like it will do the job nicely. I think it will last almost forever. There are different thicknesses, called "loft". I got the "extra loft", looks like it will be just about right. Foam will deteriorate over time. I'm also going to use the chicken wire. The previous owner used it when he recovered the top on my coupe in the early '60's and it worked just fine. JMHO. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration