Old Photo - A Ford Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - A Ford Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

I do as much work as possible in my own shop. My floor has some pretty dark oil and grease stains. Usually when I start a job I wear what I like to refer to as "work" clothes. And they get greasy! But, the two guys in the photo define the meaning of the term "grease" monkey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

When I used to work in the refineries, we had our "greasers" they were the clothes we wore over our "work clothes" We left them at the job site and "maybe" washed them once a week (or never). We were in Anadarko Okla. working at a refinery outage for the Christmas shutdown. The local laundry's had signs everywhere "DO NOT WASH YOUR GREASERS". But in typical construction workers ways. A pipefitter (Im a Boilermaker, please do not confuse us with each other :-)) decided to wash and dry his "greasers" at the local laundry at night when no one was there. Well, that laundry no longer exist. It seems the fumes from the "Greasers" and the dryers did not mix well and blew the entire laundry to shreds. It did not hurt the poor old pipefitter much, it singed him up some, and he got to spend a few nights in the local jail, for public drunk, and destruction of property. So being the quick learner I am, I never had the urge to wash any of my greasers. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

Donnie, I love that story. I worked as a laborer in the iron mines several years ago. An ore season would typically last from April to October. We had our work clothes and our coveralls. When it got too hot in the summer time we had only coveralls. The coveralls never got washed. You just washed them at the end of the year and threw them away after 2 years because they'd be so greasy, ragged and saturated with ore they were ready to be thrown. The laundromat had special washers set aside for mine clothes only. We worked under the conveyor belts with high pressure water hoses cleaning dripping mud and water off the bottom of the washing plant. At least twice a week we'd wash and grease the rollers on the conveyor system. At the end of the day you'd simply take off your coveralls and hang them in a locker, then walk into the shower, scrub down, walk back out and get dressed in your work clothes to go home. I can't begin to describe the disappointment I felt when they closed the mine down. I ended up leaving and going to school to be a machinist but, I never had as good a job again as those ore seasons in the iron mines.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration