OT - Tesla Car Assembly Video

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Tesla Car Assembly Video
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Quite amazing. https://www.youtube.com/embed/8_lfxPI5ObM?rel=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Nice, I love the automation. A little hard to believe that it takes 3 to 5 days to put one together unless I misunderstood.It would seem with all that automation they could pump out dozens a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

They would do well to slow down production. At the average loss of $4000 per car Tesla can save a lot of money by making fewer cars.

The factory was automated by Toyota. The machinery that you see was used to build the joint Pontiac / Toyota Matrix mini wagons until Toyota pulled out and Pontiac went tango uniform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

Being hearing impared,I tend to hate Electric cars.I can't always hear them comming,but if I were to step out in front of one going even 20MPH,the results would be bad. That, and the fact the Government is subsidizing each one sold with our taxes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

The government is only subsidizing the losers - the more interesting thing is that Honda and Toyota signed an agreement to share all technology and discovery with regard to the fuel cell car technology and that is a major correct step for both companies in my opinion. Our unwise leadership lit a match to a ton of our money betting on the Chevy VOLT - what a joke venture that was. You do remember the VOLT don't you??? That was the car of the future but underneath that fancy wrapper was just a golf cart. The problems with an all electric car with a rechargeable battery as the only power source are in fact insurmountable in the short run since if everybody owned one there isn't enough power in the grid for all of us to be able to have those cars. What is really needed is a way to store electricity in some form other than a rechargeable battery and I firmly believe the fuel cell is that answer since it creates electricity as it is needed and the fuel to create it is hydrogen. The sooner we move in that direction the sooner we have solved the problem. Fuel cell cars have problems to solve but they are real world solvable problems. Most of the objections to it are political in nature and the USA is getting further behind. It is the only thing that seems to have a promising future but the political climate cares nothing of technology common sense. It only cares about votes and getting rid of our guns so we can be totally defenseless and they can be our only protector - Big Brother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

John - I think you hit the biggest stumbling block of all when you said, "objections to it are political in nature"!

In this ugly corrupt society we live in, I strongly believe that there are actually tremendous advances in medicine that are being hidden from the public, simply because there is just too much money being made in the medical and pharmaceutical industries. And, there is also a huge amount on money being made in the automotive and petroleum industries,.... ESPECIALLY the petroleum industry,.....think "corruption" in the form of lobbyists, politicians, etc, etc. And therefore, I believe fuel cell development is being (and will continue to be) "stifled" with as much "special interest money" (another nice term for corruption) as it takes. And what can "John Q. Public" do about it......??? There's the problem,....and if I were to continue this rant,.....well,.....I won't, but you catch my "drift', right? Sad, but true,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

That would be a very cool car left unpainted aluminum.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Travis,
Great idea but road salt eats aluminum.
Check out the price of the options

https://my.teslamotors.com/en_CA/models/design?source=homepage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 06:42 am:

I keep seeing "tango uniform". What the h**l does that stand for? I don't understand why posters keep using abreviations or the phoenetic alphabet for words that they think everybody understands. I get "tango uniform" means t u, but what does that stand for? Sorry for the rant, but it is aggravating. I have seen a lot of other abreviations that make no sense to me. Not everybody knows what you're talking about. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:27 am:

Tango uniform / totally useless / tits up / dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

A race like this was on "Jay Leno's Garage" last week. According to what they said on the program is this, "The electric motor develops maximum torque immediately upon starting. The gasoline engine torque is related to speed" So you have an advantage with equal horsepower on both engines the electric motor will be faster.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Melchert on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

John, This might be what will change all those storage problems.
http://www.uetechnologies.com/news.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

A large battery doesn't help the car needs since you still have to charge it up which means it still has to be powered from the grid. The only way a battery makes sense is if it is super light weight and can be transported by truck from point A to point B. Assuming a PERFECT battery exists that can hold easily 200 miles worth of charge - when that battery is then discharged you can't recharge it in a minute or 2. When one car attempts to charge from the grid - no problem other than time. When everybody needs to get a recharge at the same rate that they currently buy gas - Big problem unless you shut the grid down for any other purpose for awhile to fill up cars. A 100 HP electric car has a 75,000 Watt motor in it. If that comes from any sort of battery or super capacitor and everybody has one - the grid can't handle its recharge and to upgrade the grid means you need massive amounts of copper since high power by almost any means is not generated nearby unless it is nuclear and nobody wants them nearby either. Hydrogen can be produced lots of different ways and shipped or piped to the end user and it doesn't need to be copper pipe. If you have natural gas in your home you probably can crack off hydrogen from natural gas and we have tons of it in the USA. The remainder of the natural gas can still heat our home after we crack off the Hydrogen I think. My father-in-law worked for a chemical plant and they cracked natural gas making polyethylene and sold hydrogen that was produced as a byproduct and then put what was left of the natural gas back into the natural gas pipeline. Of course they had to make sure it had a certain number of BTU's of heat left when they did that. You and I then bought it to heat our houses. I believe a 4 Liter bottle of Hydrogen can move a full size Honda Accord well beyond 200 miles and at full speed up until you are out of fuel unlike battery car where the last miles of its range are at what speed??

Copper is not easy to get you have to go down into the ground and get it then smelt it and make it into cable. Natural gas can be brought in much cheaper and even in plastic pipe but that is only one way to get Hydrogen - there are others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

You're right John, I have always felt that Hydrogen is the better fuel, Its only exhaust is just water vapor. I do feel it's the big oil companies stalling its research. From what I understand the only two set backs are the high cost to manufacture the Hydrogen and a safe way to contain it. The big oil companies would lose billions if we ever switched from fossil fuel to Hydrogen. And whatever side of the greenhouse gas thing you stand on wouldn't matter as it is a completely CLEAN fuel with its H2O by product.. We just need to come up with a cheap and safe way to use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

I've often wondered what would happen in a cold climate with all of the water vapor from the exhaust on the hydrogen powered vehicles if there were a lot of them. Would there be enough to cause icing problems on the roads? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Will:

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out about Hydrogen part of which came for the Hindenburg German air ship disaster. It has been pretty well debunked that this was an example of Hydrogen danger when in fact it was a case of the outer skin and its paint that you see burning because it was highly flammable but the Hydrogen was already gone by this point having escaped to the higher atmosphere since Hydrogen is much lighter than air. It has been said that if we today were driving Hydrogen powered vehicles around and for some reason were contemplating a massive change to use gasoline in our vehicles as an alternative, there would be an uproar of huge proportions touting the dangers of being burned alive in your car because gasoline spilled out on the ground can easily catch fire and burn up everything and everybody that is near it or trapped inside the car. Gasoline is very volatile but we are used to its danger and accept it.

David:

I don't honestly know how much water vapor is exhausted per mile but I do know that the water vapor is in fact distilled water vapor and thus represents no threat other than perhaps freezing. I wonder if when exhausted if it would in fact turn to snow. I honestly don't know. There has been so much snow on the ground during winter months that I almost laugh at the thought that a car could produce any serious amount to add to it but perhaps it can. I think I will look into that so I can be informed on that.

I don' think even now that Hydrogen is expensive to produce in the USA but that presumes we would crack Natural Gas to get it. I just don't think there is any great demand for it at this point. When we burn natural gas in a car engine I think we only get about 16% of the energy in it but if we can crack off some Hydrogen then we get almost all of the energy in the Hydrogen when we combine it with Oxygen to make distilled water which is what happens in the FC. Burning a fuel seems to be the least efficient use of it. The most expensive part of the FC I think is the membrane which up to recently has been a precious metal but some metalized plastic has been experimented with that shows real promise in reducing the high cost of the membrane in the FC. This is somewhat like making metalized capacitors. It is something fun to think about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

Hydrogen is made entirely using fossil fuel. To make hydrogen copious amounts of natural gas is processed using an even greater amount of electricity. You are essentially making an easier way to store the energy contained in the natural gas using electricity that is usually made from coal fired generators or natural gas fired generators.

It is very inefficient and costly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

I am not disagreeing with you Royce because I don't know enough about how hydrogen would be made in production quantities here but there are a lot of different ways that it can be produced since Hydrogen is contained in so many different products. It was my understanding that when you crack Natural Gas to get some Hydrogen from it that you have not then consumed it all and that what is left still has use but I am not a chemist so can't really speak to that.

David talked about the water vapor possibly freezing as another issue but upon reflection I am reminded that water vapor is a byproduct of combustion of just about anything and that burning fuels such as gasoline or Diesel fuel in cars produces more water vapor than does the FC car because the Internal Combustion (IC) engine is less efficient. On the Toyota Mirai FC car there is a tank to hold the distilled water for later emptying at home if you so choose since there are uses for distilled water so probably not a good idea to just toss it. Lots of new frontiers to explore here.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration