Replacing a front hub.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Replacing a front hub.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Hey guys, I need to replace a front hub in a 21" wood spoke wheel. The steel fellow and spokes are in good shape and the wheel itself is tight. Sadly the hub has a hairline crack starting at the threads and running into the outer race receiving area. My question is this. If I take care and not disturb the spokes while swapping out the old hub for a good used original one, properly tighten up the bolts, can I expect the wheel to be as tight and true as it was before the swap?

As always many thanks in advance for your help.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Thanks Frank, I was hoping it would be a pretty straight forward operation if care is taken not to disturb the spokes.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Charles, straight forward in concept, but the process can be a real bear. First problem is getting the flange plate off the outside of the hub. All paint must be removed from the hub first so the plate can be removed. Then the plate needs to be driven around on the hub a bit so you can get a punch through the bolt holes from the rear to drive the plate off. Use your penetrant of choice to help.

Hopefully, the hub is tight in the assembled spokes. You will need a press to push the hub out. Hammering will disturb things which shouldn't be disturbed. If the hub is loose in the centre, I would use some epoxy resin on re-assembly to take out any gaps.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Thanks for the tips Allan, much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Charles: As the saying goes if all else fails get a bigger hammer . DDDOOONNN"""TT. be real careful and take your time. If you can think about it and mark each spoke with a # and position on the steel fellow, and remember "Murphys" law if can happen it will. If you number the spokes on the front side under the removable plate and the wheel should come apart you will have the spoke in the corr3ect order. This just my opinion and it might help.
Good luck and "Happy T'ing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Yes but take care driving the hub in and out
It any voids fill with resign or kwik poly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Thanks for the help Bill and Bob! Where can I find this Epoxy Resin or Kwik Poly if I need it?

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:04 am:

Kwik Poly: https://www.modeltford.com/item/KWIK-POLY.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

Thanks Roger, I had no idea Lang's carried it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration