Check your ruler even if is a LS Starrett

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Check your ruler even if is a LS Starrett
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

I'm thankful I did not start with the 12 ruler. Both are Starrett, the 12 inch is off on every scale. It's a progressive error, it gains .0208 every inch. Off an 1/8 every 6 inches. Had this for years, Never caught the error until today. Starrett says there warrantee is one year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Bob,

Look very closely at the markings on the scale. It may be a shrinkage scale, used in the castings industry to measure patterns. It compensates for shrinkage in different cast materials after they cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Could it be a Pattern makers rule?
They are out to allow for shrinkage when casting, hence patterns are made larger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

I learned something today! I didn't know that such a thing as a pattern maker's rule existed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Thanks Guys, that is what it is. It is marked - shrink 3-16 to the foot. If anyone needs it I'd love for it to go to a good home to be used. Thanks again, Bob @ 903 824 1949.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

Bob I sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

It has been years since I heard of one of those! Interesting thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Wow! The things you learn on this forum! I have never heard of those either. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Ritchie on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Yeah, handy rule to have.
I constructed my first pattern using a standard rule and a calculator working out every dimension.
What a job, but worth the result.
Pic attached, hot rodded timing cover for a flat head Cadillac V8 1937 thru to 1948 I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Had a surveyors tape measure once, didn't have inches on it, it was divided into 10ths of a foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

That's referred to as an "Engineers" rule - we use them in road building.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration