Equalizing temp in exhaust manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Equalizing temp in exhaust manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Thought this was discussed before but can't seem to find it. In noticing that the center section of the exhaust manifold always runs hotter than the ends, particularly the first cylinder ... have T owners placed baffles in front of the forward end of the exhaust manifold to try to equalize the heat? Any pictures out there?

I regularly black brush stove polish on my exhaust manifold and rub it down with a cloth to a nice sheen. But after driving a few days you can see evidence of the hotter areas in the finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:37 am:

This is one of those things that I do not worry about because it is not a problem. You can have the manifold powder coated if it is important to you. I just let the manifold acquire its natural state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:49 am:

I forgot who originally posted the FLIR shots but this one clearly shows the highest heat just after #3 up to #2. I wouldn't use baffles to restrict the flow of exhaust. If you are overheating on #1, it may be indicating another problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Actually I don't care about how it looks so much. I just reapply the stove polish from time to time and it looks great. I guess I was worried if this was ever considered a problem. My plugs look fine and I've never seen the exhaust manifold become red hot ...I drive with the spark advanced as far as I can given the conditions.

There was a beautiful thermo photograph illustrating the typical center weighted heat of the manifold posted on the forum awhile back. The non-model T friends on my Facebook page loved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:04 am:

Yes Ken .... that's the one. I thought the one of the cooling system from that series was also very interesting. Great for a person like me ... who drives a model T ... and works at a photography museum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:08 am:

"John H" posted the shots. I found the original thread.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/365037.html?1370118547

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Those are pretty interesting. When looking at the ones in the other thread, take note of how the scale changes. Simply going by color gives the impression that the muffler is as hot as the manifold when in reality it is only half as hot. Same goes for everything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:06 am:

Tools now can do some interesting tasks. The infrared thermometer I bought for Babbitt work measures 50C to 1150C or 58F to 2102F instantly Its going to be very interesting going over T cooling system and engine parts for hot spots with an accurate fast way to check them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:15 am:

I am not concerned about the temperature of the exhaust manifold unless the entire engine is overheating. More important is to keep the glands inside the ports regardless of which type gaskets you use, those glands should be in place to keep the manifold from bending.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration