Small voltage regulator.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Small voltage regulator.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Has anyone used the voltage regulator like the one offered through Lang's://www.modeltford.com/item/5055VR.aspx If so are you happy with it.

Seems like it would be better then the stock cut-out allowing the generator to charge the battery all the time, with the possibility of the battery becoming over charged on an extended run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

I won't run either of my cars without one.I have had problems with a cut out that damaged my generator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

The only way to go, follow the instructions TO THE LETTER you won't be sorry. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Better question- "Is there anyone who does not run the regulator?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Here is a link to the manufacturers web page with a printable PDF link of instructions.

http://www.funprojects.com/products/5055r.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Thanks Steven, This was what I was thinking. My knowledge of automotive electrical systems, even a simple one like found on the Model T is limited. It makes sense though to use some form of simple regulator that "regulates" the amount of current going to the battery on an as needed basis. I think I'll order one from Lang's.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Better question- "Is there anyone who does not run the regulator?"

John, I think that I do, although not by intention. I think my 25 Tudor has the cut-out. I bought the car in August of this year and I'm just getting around to addressing the issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

I have the 6V voltage regulator on Popeye with a generator rebuilt by Ron the coil man. It works perfectly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Got one on my A and TT. Don't have one on the T, 'cause it ain't got a generator, but if it did....y'dang skippy. It'd have one too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

I have an old Standard cutout on mine. I think it has stuck once in all the years it's been on. While I don't know that I would use and trust a NEW made cutout (the windings are too light), some of the OLD ones are ok. (my OP)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

Charles, I don't know what year your car is, but if a 26/27 don't believe the ammeter in the dash. They are not accurate. Use an earlier year ammeter. It can be in series with the existing or make up an ammeter in a box and wire it in near the generator temporarily for setting the third brush. It is critical to check the adjustment the next day as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

I don't like the original mechanical cutout, as when the contacts get dirty or fail, the generator voltage will rise to high levels and destroy the insulation in the generator.
Accordingly I use a diode inside an original cutout case, with no failures in over twenty years in two cars, the coupe and the speedster. I don't like the smart device as they can fail and are completely incomprehensible to the majority of T owners, whereas the diode can be trouble shot with a simple analog single range meter. Also the cost about $5 and I can afford to carry a spare in both cars. I gave one to someone on the recent SD National Tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

I have a funprojects regulator works much better than. Cut out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

Charles: I asked the same question here about six months ago and got many positive replies. I bought one from Langs and it works absolutely perfectly. Follow the simple instructions and it's basically "set and forget", with no more worries about a low or overcharged battery. Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

John,the car is a 1925 Tudor with the original Amp meter.

Bruce, that's good to know. I need simple instructions.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cook, Geneva,NSW Australia on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:38 am:

Fun Projects VRs on both my Ts. Years of night driving with no mishaps. Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 02:20 am:

I have installed them on several Fords from 1939 on back to model T Fords.
Never a problem.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration