Tire size question.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tire size question.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Brockhouse on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:22 am:

I wanted to be certain, so I thought I would ask the experts! Looking at getting tires, flaps etc. How do I measure my tire to determine for certain what size they are on my 24 coupe? I believe them to be 21", but wanted to measure and be certain. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:28 am:

This older thread may help: :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/109798.html?1255311482

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:32 am:

What rims do you have? If they are clinchers they would be 30 inch, if they are split they would be 21's. If the wheel measures about 23 inches across the front including the fellow =30 inch if less then 21's. Google "mtfca rims", you should get a lot of hits of postings from this site covering rims and wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:34 am:

There is two basic styles of tires. Clincher and Balloon.

Clincher type have a bead that hooks into the rim like clasped hands. Clincher tires are sized by the outside diameter of the tire and the sidewall height. A 30"x 3.5" clincher uses a 23" rim. 30" diameter minus the two sidewall heights gives you the rim diameter.

Balloon type have a bead that seats against the lip of the rim. Balloon tires are sized by the rim diameter, a 21" tire is the diameter of the rim where the bead of the tire seats when fully inflated. When dealing with balloon tires a number is usually listed first. for example 4.50-21" the 4.50 is the sidewall/tread width.

Hope this helps you determine the rim size you have.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Jeremy - This is gonna' sound just too simple, and I don't mean this to be insulting, however, I can't help but wonder,.....if your '24 coupe has tires on it now, is the factory lettering on all four tires unreadable? Seems like at least one would still have readable lettering on the sidewall,....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Jeremy - This is gonna' sound just too simple, and I don't mean this to be insulting, however, I can't help but wonder,.....if your '24 coupe has tires on it now, is the factory lettering on all four tires unreadable? Seems like at least one would still have readable lettering on the sidewall,....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Oops,....speaking of "simple",.....telephone distraction caused me to loose track of my writing/posting, etc,......sorry for the double post,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Brockhouse on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Got it figured out gentlemen. Thank you very much!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration