Axle straightening

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Axle straightening
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

A couple years ago, a creative fellow from down under explained how he straightened an early axle using a lathe and torch. He mounted the axle housing in a fixture held by the chuck and slowly fed a large cone center into the outer end while heating a section of the housing with a rose bud slowly turning the axle. The combination of heating the axle where he wanted the bend and slowly feeding the cone got both bearing holes in alignment. I tried it and it worked like a charm. The fixture in the photo has a plug that enters the bearing hole to fix the position of the large end. When I started, the outer end had .350 inch run out. As you can see, it is now in alignment. Many thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:43 am:

Richard ; Nice that you had good success with straightening the rear axle.I have it done several times with great success .
Toon
571R
572R
573R
577R
574R

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration