Early 2 screw Holley Brass Carb on ebay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Early 2 screw Holley Brass Carb on ebay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-1912-TWO-SCREW-HOLLEY-BRASS-CARBURETOR-/321 940378777?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

Might be worth this kind of money, I dunno. Might be worth more. Not my deal. Not my carb. Not my listing. Hope it sells high, makes mine worth more.

I just posted it here since it says in the description that it was possibly rebuilt. Not by me. If it was it was by somebody else. Not me.

Don't buy it and send it to me for warranty... =) =) Yes, I've had that happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Stan, do you stamp your rebuilds like Potter, to identify them later on just in case?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

No, I used to but haven't been doing it. I should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:10 am:

That is the rarest of the 3 versions of the 1912 Holley, but I've never heard of one going anywhere near that kind of money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:13 am:

You do realize that carburetor was purchased on our classified section just a couple weeks ago for a paltry percentage of the current asking price right?

A nice core carburetor like that one is probably worth $500 to the right person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:05 am:

What is meant by "early" 1912 ?

January, February ?

At what month does the 3 screw appear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:01 am:

That carburetor is a Holley H-1. All of the H1 carburetors had two screws securing the venturi chamber cover to the carburetor body.

By early, we mean that this carburetor is probably from around August - December 1911, the earliest part of the 1912 model year. The version Larry Reed is selling on eBay has a clamp to secure the early cast iron carburetor heater stove to the carburetor inlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Here are the first two of the three versions of the 1912 Holley. The difference being two screws verses 3 screws in the lid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Kim, what are the differences in version 3? I am familiar with these two. The two screw belongs to Bob, the three screw to Kevin.

BTW, these carbs run very well but probably were time consuming to make which translates into more money so they simplified them into the Holey G.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Kim you are so right! Stan you make a great point, a Holley G runs just as well and is way cheaper.

Here's mine:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

So that must be version 3 of the H-1; three screw top but still with the split for the hot air pipe. Haven't seen one of those before. At least that I remember.

They have a one of a kind float arm in them, since I replace the needle and seat I also make a new throttle arm setup. I have done a couple of them with an original throttle arm and decided it was easier to make a new one.

I have been unable to find a source for those little hex/slotted 8-32 screws some of them had when new so I made up a batch of those the other night. The hex and screw threads are easy, the slot in the top is hard to get exactly centered so it looks right.

The G has a much simpler arm/seat/needle setup which has a replaceable seat for easier service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Here is one from the Lau stuff, it's the only one I've ever seen that is cast iron. Stan, the difference in version 3 is the choke clamp is missing. That is the most common version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

What would you guys recommend for a engine with a high volume intake and dual exhaust and a .280 cam.?

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:47 pm:

So that would have been obvious if I had looked closer at the photos. Sorry for being a doofus. I guess the one I've never seen is more likely the 3 screw with the clamp.

Rick. I would put a U & J on it. Zoom Zoom, looks cool and breathes way better than anything else. That said, their claims about fuel economy were probably enhanced if not actually exaggerated.

Mike Lebsack and I reproduced the choke control for them last year. It is really cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Thanks, Stan where should I look for one ? E-bay etc.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

www.strombergof.com is my web site. I have several for sale. I always hate to post things like this since it looks like I am using the forum to advertise but here goes. The problems with virtually every U & J I have ever seen are these:

1. The bowl is cracked. They are made from thin, brittle brass. I think the reason there are still NOS U & J's around is that the bowls cracked soon after installation so the dealer took a bowl off another one and put it on the carb to get it going and never replaced it on the doner. I have bought a dozen NOS U & J's with no bowl at Chickasha and ebay. NO other bowl fits without modification. I machine the body to accept a Holley G bowl.

2. The needle and seat is a design of their own, it looks like a Holley G set will fit but it won't, the size is different, the threads are different and the height is different. I make new sets for them or machine the body to accept a G set.

3. The float is not interchangeable with any other float. A float has to be made.

4. They are not overly forgiving of fuel height in the bowl so the whole setup has to hold the fuel at the correct level or they don't like to start cold and don't idle well. There is no simple height adjustment.

5. There were U & J carbs made for lots of different cars, the ones for Overland, for example, won't work on a T Ford.

6. They have to have a correct manifold to fit as they do not bolt up to a T manifold, they have their own design.

All of that said, they are great carbs, will wake up a T like not many others and are simple and trouble free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Royce your statement that this carburetor was purchased on eBay for a fraction of the cost is completely inaccurate. I purchased it from a collector in the California Bay Area for a project that due to health reasons I cannot complete. I am not sure why you went to the trouble to state who was selling it as anyone that knows me knows I collect early T parts and have been doing so for many years (50 m/l). I am hoping someone that needs this carb will see the add and it will end up on a car rather than be stuffed away. With this said I really don't care where the parts I purchase have come from or who might have owned them as long as they are not stolen. As for being rebuilt as I stated in my add the float looks new and the choke spring has been replaced. The carb looks perfectly clean inside. No it is not a Stan Howe rebuild nor was I ever implied. Hope this settles you inquiry. Larry Reed 209 6028497

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Correction Royce. You said it was purchased on the classified a few months ago not eBay. I stand corrected. The purchase was from a regular seller on the classified but not found thru the classifieds. I paid very close to my asking price. Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Question? My 16 engine has the three screw type Holley. With no knowledge of there performance it appears to be better made then a NH. Is it worth my time to rebuild it or should I send it down the road for some one concerned with period correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Paul -- The Holley G is a very good carb, certainly worth rebuilding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

As health allows I will be selling all of my excess parts on eBay or the mtfca. I usually use eBay because of the ease of adding pictures. I greatly appreciate all,the help I have received from members of the forum. I am going to attempt to finish the projects I have in progress. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is enormous. I have been actively involved in Model T restoration for over fifty years and yet I learn something every time I read the forum. Thanks to all and I hope this forum continues to inspire young people to collect and bring the T back to life. Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

stan what does a u & j look like never seen one on an overland in 40 years??????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Paul, this is just my opinion and I sure don't know everything there is to know about Model T's or carburetors. Having said that, I think the G is the best carburetor Ford ever supplied as a stock carburetor. I don't think they are the best carb ever made for a Model T but the best Ford supplied one.

They start very well, they run very well, they idle very well and if you want there is a simple modification you can make that will allow you to adjust the idle mixture. There are parts readily available including the float and needle and seat from all the suppliers.

The main thing I see with them is that when rebuilding them some people do not take the time to machine the casting where the cover goes on and don't machine the cover to make sure it fits right and seals. Also some don't remove the jet in the bottom of the well under the venturi and clean it out and replace the gasket. That's probably not a big deal, especially if they are cleaning with Ultrasonic.

I also like how they look on a T, especially brass era cars. I think they look just right, setting down there between the frame rails like that all shiny and brassy.

Incidentally -- and I'm not trying to get in the middle of anything here -- I don't think that carb is overpriced that is on ebay. It has had 344 views so far; undoubtedly some because of its posting here and I am surprised somebody hasn't bought it. They are made from unobtainium. There are probably a thousand Holley G's for every one of these. Just because it's a thousand bucks doesn't mean it isn't a good buy. Just think what a good 5 ball sells for and there are probably as many or more of those than there are these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

This is for Charlie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Larry,

Free enterprise is good for everyone. I hope you do well reselling that carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

must be very rare i have never seen one. thanks for the pic. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:08 pm:

i just talked to a guy in north Iowa that is older than me and he has never seen one.seems like i remember schebler using a off set manifold like that on their mod t set ups, also Maxwell had one on their late teens cars.OK thats all i know!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration