Installing carpet fasteners

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Installing carpet fasteners
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

How does one go about installing carpet fasteners to the floorboards, like the kind that Lang's sells?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/UF26.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Jim,
The part you are showing is for attaching to the carpet.
There should be the other half sold by Lange as well.
Regards,John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

You attach the pronged ring through the top of the carpet, pushing prongs all the way through and nesting the ring down in the nap of the carpet so it's mostly hidden. The snap piece fits over prongs, and prongs get bent to the outside to hold. A male snap is screwed to floorboard and it snaps to that, as mentioned. The easiest is to put snap in floorboard first, then lay in carpet and mark where this piece goes..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:15 am:

Guys: Thank you for the clear explanation on what I bought. Is the picture below the snap that you are referring to?

How did you tack down the front part of the carpet where the feet/pedals rest. I see a hole in the floor of the body where I would assume that it is tacked down. Am I correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:29 am:

I don't know about the late T, but in the model As there are special hollow rivets in that location that mate with the carpet snaps, or in the case of the rubber mat, their are holes in the mat with slits that fit over the rivet and keep the mat in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

These look like the same thing as what Langs sells, but come with the snap. It lists twenty pieces, but if my math is correct, 3 x 6 is 18. I wonder the two other pieces are?

http://www.prestigeautotrim.co.uk/uk/panther-carpets-kallista.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 02:53 am:

I found a discussion from 2010 on an earlier sedan than mine. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/159103.html?1284205988

There were only six original brass snaps in the original floorboards on my car and all of them are on the edges. One of my concerns is that my heel will catch the edge of the carpet around the "square" where the pedals are. What is considered factory "correct" to fasten the square down or does it really matter? I would like to do things the way Ford did; however, I also do not want any hang-ups when driving in today's traffic. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:12 am:

Jim, I believe that the snaps from Prestige come as "20 kits", thus 20 sets of 3 pieces each, total 60 pieces. If you search Ebay you'll find the same offered for about $20....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration