Driving in Dec

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Driving in Dec
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Had the T out this Saturday again last Sat put on 50 miles this Sat. about 30 miles Can't remember the last time I drove that much in Dec it's only 42 degrees a little cool but not to bad in a closed 1921 coupe hoping it stays and I can take it out next weekend. Liking this Canadian winter .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Good for you Ross, bundle up warm and drive all winter that's what I do, unless there is to much salt, ice or snow on the roads.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eP27eDtSs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Right on Ross. I had my Runabout out most of the day too. Gonna go out tomorrow as well. People seem extra happy to see the car because it reminds them that the good weather fun times are still here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Hey Ross, I was out in my 1917 shooting brake on Saturday, at the opening of my paint supplier's new store. It was 42 degrees also. BUT, our 42 is your 108! Phew!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

Drove in the Toyland Parade in San Diego this morning. It was 75 degrees and very nice and warm.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:01 am:

We can thank good old Mr. El-Neenyo for this!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Went on a lunch run with a pal in his '12 Touring just a few days ago.
Didn't need more than a light jacket to keep warm.
Maybe this winter won't be so bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:22 am:

I'm still driving the roadster most days.

Bringing home the groceries last Monday.

Yesterday I was changing oil in the Camry and had to go to town for more, so I took the roadster again. In town it was warm enough that I took my coat off. The local forecast shows highs in the fifties and sixties almost every day for the next two weeks. Remarkable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Today is our Mother Lode chapter Christmas dinner. We still call it Christmas. Since the weather is chancy, I am taking the closed cab dump truck. First, I had to drive it into town and dump the load that was in it. The dinner is at a local country club and I thought it would be tacky to park it in front of the clubhouse loaded with trash. Will take pics of dumpy and post. They may be upside down. My iPad thinks we are in Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Still driving in NY and loving it also. Heading out again tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

The forecast is for highs in the 60's for the next week plus here in NW AR. Sounds like Model T weather to me!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

January 1 in the northeast. Temperature was a balmy 18 degrees with a windchill in single digits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

It's supposed to get up to 38 tomorrow and it's my day off. I might just drive the '14 into town for lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Missett Wyoming, PA (NE) on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Ive used my 24 touring for all my errands the past few days and seemed to get more thumps up and horn honks than usual. One lady said its kinda nippy to be driving around in that
antique so I reminded her that I was also an antique and enjoying every minute of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:18 am:

Today I am planning on finishing the oil change (with Rotella 10w 30) in Seabiscuit and driving him (at a very fast rate of speed to get some of that "road Dust" off) up town to register all my vehicles.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:40 am:

Warren, what is he doing in the photo?

A car wash for you?

Or his he wetting everything to make the scene look like a rainy day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:43 am:

I suspect he's putting "road dust" on the car to make an otherwise beautiful car fairly road and weather-beaten. Aaaaarrggg!!!! Poor Seabiscuit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:54 am:

Dave, please see Tim's note (above mine and below yours) he has correctly stated what was happening in the photo. I had driven down to Lawrence the day before in the rain and got on location early so I could clean up Seabiscuit, when Vinny came over and informed me that he was applying road dust "talcum powered" to make him look fairly road and weather-beaten (it's Hollywood after all) ps: it washes right off.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Yesterday was a beautiful day for a ride in the runabout. The tight engine likes it! Did a few loops along the waterfront. A little busy thru the downtown area as many were out. Lots of motorcycles out, giving me a heads up. Was asked by one gentleman if it was a kit car. Said it was the real McCoy, but thinking about it now, a part here, another part there well he may be right! Then back for garage and workbench cleanup. Extended weather forecast says nice for up coming weekend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Your runabout looks great George, had a wonderful time touring Hammond Castle and around Cape Ann this past September. The tour was planned/put on by the LeBlanc brothers in Haverhill. Ken and Steve run Merrimack Valley Tire and along with their brother Paul are very helpful and knowledgeable about Model Ts and repairing them.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Just got back an hour ago, heading out again Wednesday. Should be working on my 24, BUT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

I had my '26 out all day running errands, went up town to register all my vehicles, then went to dry cleaners and grocery shopping. Took lots of photos and made a new video, hope to post them later, but for now I have to get ready to go to CNHMTC club meeting.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

I had Fireball (aka My Problem Child) out all day Saturday in the low 80s heat. We went to Seal Beach, CA for lunch with some of my old car cronies. It was so sunny I had the top up to keep from getting a sunburn. The car ran great all day and acted like it never wanted to stop.

Sunday evening was the Orange County Model T Club Christmas party. Before the meet I made my own tour and drove around seeing the sights in Anaheim where I grew up.

We had a great party and everyone had a good time "stealing" each other's gifts. What fun!

Oddly considering the very warm weather, my car was the ONLY Model T present. Several folks asked if I wasn't going to be cold driving home after the party. To me, it really wasn't very cold at all, only in the mid 50s, perfect for a drive in the flivver.

I have often heard it said that SoCal thins the blood and that folks feel the cold more than those in other climes where a real winter happens. Perhaps so.

I was fine with a light sweater, even with a lagged exhaust pipe, Fireball still puts out plenty of heat once it is warmed up. I noticed when I got home that the single tail light had burned out. Happily, no one ran into me!

Winters in SoCal are really our best time of year. I wish we could keep this weather all year.

Vintage Paul, looking for another bulb, I know I have one around here someplace . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Going out for breakfast It was a nice day in Nova Scotia and we had a lovely drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 06:36 am:

John, Merry Christmas to you, your family and all your friends. I love those winter fronts, have you seen my post "Limited Time Offer"? I need to talk to you about manufacturing and starting a Canadian Division.

Merry Christmas to everyone,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

"I don't give a Damn" if it is December 7, I am still going to drive my T when I want and where I want!!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

I just got back from a 16 mile drive in my 1924 cut-off touring (now a pickup). It was a little windy, but with a temperature around 60 degrees F, it was still comfortable with just a sweatshirt and jeans.

I'll be driving it all through the winter as long as the roads are clear. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Merry Christmas, Warren to you and yours. I am sure we can come to a mutually beneficial deal on the winter fronts. The Canadian dollar being what it is, you should make another fortune selling them in the USA. Happy New Year! Best wishes from John and Ginny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

We usually drive for fun. Today we attended a Funeral for an old car friend. He certainly enjoyed his cars while he was alive.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Nice car Val. Had my open runabout out today also. It was an unheard of 60 plus. Again nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Great job all you Model T'ers are doing, driving your cars. I had Seabiscuit out for a spin doing some errands and checking band adjustment. It was about a 25 mile run.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/4+Story+Hill+Rd,+Dunbarton,+NH+03046/Goffstown+Ace+Hardware,+Depot+Street,+Goffstown,+NH/Nichols+Garage/Trailside+Gas/Stark+Cemetery/4+Story+Hill+Road,+Dunbarton,+NH/

Hope to get Sambuca out for a test drive today.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Hey guys had the T out again on Saturday . what a great day to drive around town . We will see what next week end brings. Happy motoring to all that get out there cars. Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Yep, out for a ride yesterday. 51 degrees and overcast and she ran great. Stopped at the local train store 5 miles away to show the boys, and of course the store was crazy. Got waves and thumbs up from a motorcycle group passing the other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

It's been very wet here in the Portland Oregon and SW Washington area, JUST WET with wind and snow in the MTS. Landslides and tornado etc. I hope I can drive my T before the end of the month. Snow and cold I could deal with. Did I say it's been WET! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

The heater makes it cozy inside. Jack helps me start it in the cold. The older streets in town look like a Christmas card except for the later cars. 'Twas a great trip to the Post office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

Took the Speedster to fill the gas tank up for the winter yesterday. 63 and overcast here. I've started it with no problems the last few months. Last time I put gas in it was in August. So far, I've never had "old gas" related problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Rich, the only kind of heater I got in my Ts is an old (really old) Jack Armstrong model that does not work well all the time.
Plus you make me jealous driving in the snow.

Merry Christmas, hope it's a white one for you,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Hey Ross, You ain't the only one in our town "out and about" (as we Canadian's say) in December!!! Better watch out or I might pass ya on Dundas street! Half the cylinders, but carryin' twice the driver weight! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!

Merry Christmas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKIeAUD-cew&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

The local forecast shows 48º tomorrow and 49º on December 31. All the days in between? Fifties and sixties! Enjoy it while it's here. We won't get El Niño every year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Darren, glad to here you're out there. I've had my car out all day and most days this week. I've even done some night driving in total darkness with the oil lamps glowing. Today I had to step away from a building and into the breeze because it was too warm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

My tired old Coupe sits outside most of the winter. I realized today that it lets me appreciate some of the obstacles many T owners overcame back in the day. The hole for the key to the trunk iced over and required heating before I could check my gas. Also some of the teeth in the jack had ice between them. I had to chip at them a little before raising the rear wheel to start the car. Moisture condenses more easily in the gas tank than in the cars I store indoors. Draining it out of the sediment and carburetor bowls occasionally cures this problem. Crawling under the T in the snow is what folks had to do. Gas line antifreeze works but after re-sealing several tanks I don't use it or ethanol.

The lack of compression in this motor and a couple hours of morning sunshine make this car fairly easy to crank. I finally got a working generator back in it but the battery is on it's last few months. I don't use the starter much. The key switch has a dead spot in it. Sometimes I give it a crank with no buzz and then jiggle the key to get a free start or maybe just a chuff.

The rebuilt motors and shiny paint jobs on my other cars are satisfying but this one has some special features.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

Rich, that was very enjoyable to read. I also avoid using the starter whenever possible to experience the charm and character these cars have to offer. I do think a new battery is always worth having though. We have good weather forecast for Christmas day. I really want to get the car out that morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Thanks Dave. There are many ways to enjoy a Model T. I'm always glad to find new ones here. Winter driving is always fun for those of us that can. I will get a new battery but I want o squeeze every last amp out of this one.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Still driving here and it just keeps getting warmer. My wife and I went for dinner at the American House hotel in Waterdown, built in 1824. Of course we're parked so the oil lamps are on. We get to drive some totally dark and twisty roads on the way back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

And also for the new people here is a link to a previous thread showing old and new photos of the American.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/417403.html?1390266139

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration