Accessory Body? CL

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Accessory Body? CL
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Saw this Fordor on Craigslist. Really unusual body - from the cowl on back. Anyone seen anything like this before?

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/5346906066.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

It's being discussed on the classifieds:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/591794.html?1449364388

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Very interesting! I hope there is a maker's tag on it somewhere. It could be a body off something else (Overland?) adapted to fit? Or it could be an after-market sedan body made specifically for the model T. I have seen a couple of originals, mostly earlier than that. Once Ford started offering real sedans, there was little market for the after-market ones. A maker's tag should tell the story, otherwise, how the mounting was done should answer the question.
Harry Johnson in the HCCA many years ago had (I believe) a 1911 sedan. It was beautiful. I did see a photo of it in a magazine about ten years ago. I understand that there is another one like the one he had. I also saw something a little different from about 1915.
I wish I could afford this one. It has some very interesting potential.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Harry Johnsons was a true 1911 in every detail as a kid I got many rides in it his was a center door
Last I know of the car after Harrys passing the car was sold and was then sold at auction and was damaged seriously while being transported back east
I remember this car had a rope pull start as well
I also got many rides in Harrys Pope Hartford speedster this big car had a sound that was so unique I can still remember it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

I think Harry Johnson's is the car that was damaged en route to its new owner -Snyders

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Harry Johnson's car had a body made by the Kimball Company. It was greenish in color. Yes, the same Kimball that made pianos also built accessory automobile bodies during the early years. The Magee Family from Connecticut also had a Kimball body 1911/12 Ford sedan. It was just like Harry's except one had oval windows and one had rectangular windows. I forget which was which. The Magee sedan was blue. These bodies have one door on one side and two doors on the other. Harry's Pope was one of the legendary Portola Roadsters. Last I heard it was in SoCal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:09 am:

Trying to avoid too much thread drift, however, I do like to tell the tale. About fifteen years ago, the current keeper of Harry's Pope Hartford Portola Roadster drove the car on a local HCCA tour. I was on that tour with the '15 Studebaker I had at that time. A long drive on back roads in the canyons behind Mount Hamilton, the Pope passed me going up a long winding stretch----. Oh, what a sound. I think I shall never forget the sound of that beautiful car as it continued on up the road. The Studebaker I had could beat almost anything on a long hill. Anything except that beautiful Pope.

I have been very fortunate over the years to have met some incredible people. Many of them I have known as personal friends. I never really knew Harry Johnson. But I did get to meet and speak with him a few times. He had several wonderful horseless carriages, and seemed like most model T people. Very down-to-Earth and friendly.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Looks like a "Colonial" body to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration