In-car magneto recharge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: In-car magneto recharge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven H. Gadd on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

I have read the past threads on recharging the magneto in the car. I have even tried it with limited success that did not last.

My question is that the compass does not seem to consistently operate. When I first place the compass, I am usually able to get it to point towards the front of the car, When I start to rotate the engine. Then if I continue to rotate the engine the needle will often move to the opposite direction at some point. After that the needle usually stops moving at all and just stays in one position as I rotate the engine. Even if I make multiple revolutions, the needle does not move until I remove it from he hogs head. All of this occurs without ever zapping the magneto with the 36v.

My assumption is that if I place the compass in the correct position, and slowly rotate the engine, that the needle would alternate between North and South many times during one revolution.

Obviously I am missing something. All help and explanations would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

I did a magneto recharge on my '23 a few weeks ago, and it has been working good since then. A few things that I did with mine. First make sure that the car is pointed east or west so that the compass is not picking up the north pole of the earth. The first time I turned the engine to have the compass point to the front of the car was the hardest to find the sweet spot. I sparked it there then turned the engine 90* then did it again. I continued doing it every 90* for 2 complete revolutions of the engine. Each time it got easier to get the compass to point to the front of the car. It is easier to jack up the left rear wheel and use that to turn the engine rather than use the crank, as you can turn the engine forward and backwards until you have it pointing just right.
Make sure that the compass is level so that it is free to spin. The spot for the compass on the flywheel housing is kind of tilted so you cannot just stick it on there with some tape.
One other thing to check is the magneto post contact. Mine had a lot of lint/fiber built up on it.
I hope this helps.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven H. Gadd on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Thanks for responding Dan.

How did you keep the compass level?

My magneto post contact was clean.

Are you saying that when I find North and zap the magneto, to go ahead turn 90 degrees and zap again regardless of compass reading?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Hi Steve,

I used some thin pieces of wood to shim the compass level then taped it down in the right spot.
After I found North the first time and zapped it I turned the engine 90*, but used the compass to get it lined up again pointing to the front of the car. I used the compass to line up the magneto magnets each time. This is where having the back wheel jacked up helps so that you can go forward and back again to line up the compass needle pointing straight ahead. I think that it would be hard to know if you turned the engine exactly 90* with the hand crank.
Taking the spark plugs out makes it easier to turn the engine with the back wheel.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven H. Gadd on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks again, I will give it another try next weekend.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Use playdoe to level the compass and give it some light adhesion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Playdough will work, but so will bubble gum,I had no trouble using the compass with my car. It is possible that your magnets are very weak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Never have understood why people insist on using a compass. Totally unnecessary if you use enough voltage (typically 48 volts) to zap your field coil. I point this out most every time this subject comes up, but either people aren't paying attention, or they don't believe me.

By the way, I've done dozens of in car mag recharges and unless the field coil is bad, it works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Tom
By using a healthy supply of 48 volts, will this cause the flywheel to turn just a little to the proper position?
Wilf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 02:03 am:

If your engine is loose enough, it will, but I always line it up pretty good by taking off the cover and looking at the brass screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Ah, Tom, you are doing the same thing to align the magnets and the coils, just not using a compass. I would be very reluctant to try this without aligning the north poles of the magnets to the correct coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Would removing the plugs make it a little easier to turn the flywheel "just right" ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Thomas said:" I would be very reluctant to try this without aligning the north poles of the magnets to the correct coil."

Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

I did it with great success in 2010 using three 12V car batteries. My magnets were so weak, the compass would not register through the hogshead, so it was necessary for me to remove the hogshead to find a N magnet.

Five years later, there is no evidence of diminished power. Here's what I did. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/159978.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration