Late Canadian Door Knobs Compared to Modern Replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Late Canadian Door Knobs Compared to Modern Replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:19 am:

Here is a comparison of the original Canadian Tudor door knobs to the new stainless steel replacements. The Canadian knob, pictured on the left, was made of brass and nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:30 am:

looks like with a little bit of reworking, they could be made to look the same. Interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:29 am:

Jim, When I had my Fordor sedan I thought I would tidy it up a bit and add some new outside door handles, inside window winders, door knobs and the trim plates for under the doors. All of these items were reproduction items and very different to the original items. I had to replace one door handle as it was broken but in the end I left all the shiny stuff off and retained the original as the new stuff was so different. It pays to make comparisons ad be careful what you buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:53 am:

I've replated a lot of those original knobs in the past. That repro is hideous. Send it back! Is that a seam on the side of the repro? Maybe a cast?

I hope that's not your ghostly reflection I see in the repro. Scary! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

Jim, I don't think your original is limited to Canadian production. My US made originals are the same shape. The repos are just wrong. I'd buy originals off of Ebay, before I'd use the repos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Obviously the repos weren't made on a lathe where the profile of the original was followed as a pattern, or else someone isn't a good machinist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Whoever is supplying the repros probably just found something "close enough" instead of making what's correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

So the U.S. made knobs were also made of brass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:13 am:

I have an original knob off a '27 coupe and it's not brass, and I don't think it was ever plated, it's either aluminum or die-cast, I'd have to dig it out and take a good look at it to be sure what material it's made out of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:25 am:

Jim, Its been 50 years since I had mine replated, but if I remember correctly, they were brass. If they had been pot metal, like the door handles, they'd have cracked and crumbed into pieces like the window riser handles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

My 27 Coupe looks to be aluminum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

Aluminum is what I was told they are made of. For those of you like Jim Golden taking notes on the differences between Canadian-made and U.S.-made cars, the Canadian door handles are made of brass, as are the window sliders and the base for the dash light. These were all replated recently.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration