Mid 20's clothing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mid 20's clothing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:44 am:

Now that the wife and I have enjoyed our first parade in ole Betsy (26 Fordor), we are gearing up for all of the car shows and parades for next year. We have a 3 hour track of music loaded on the ipod hide under the front seat and now all we need is the proper clothes for the added touch. Does any one know an on line site to buy 20's vintage clothing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Schwechler on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Recollections.biz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Ensinger on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 07:16 am:

Thanks Richard... Nice selection..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:40 am:

This is probably as close as you're going to be able to get to 20's vintage:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/mens_victorian_outfits.php?gclid=CIXDnqWtx8kCF QcSHwod_d8PYQ

Other than being about ten years off, the quality and selection is excellent. But I very much doubt anybody will catch the subtle difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:01 am:

You can also figure out what you are wanting and then look on e-bay. We wanted a heavy wool coat with a fur collar for my wife to wear in our speedster, to match the coat in a picture we have of a similar car with a man and woman sitting in it. They ranged in price from 200.00 down to 20.00. The one we bought is almost a dead ringer of the one in the pic and we only gave 24.00 (including shipping) for it. Sometimes getting the name of the garment right is the hard part. A little searching may save you a bunch ...

our inspiration photo... I still need to find me a wool coat, then we are all set. :-) good luck in you search ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:49 am:

The most difficult thing to find seems to be a new straw hat that doesn't have too high a crown.
Even the one gentleman's Emporium sells is disproportionately tall:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/media/001813/001813_01.jpg

It should look more like this:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/ab/89/0a/ab890a5452c38bb645c2599a2f05ebfd .jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Chuck, I have a '24 Touring and faced the same issue. Vintage clothing stores limit you in finding something that fits, since they don't have one garment in a variety of sizes. What I did was go to the microfilm room of my local public library and start browsing through newspapers from the mid-20s. I was looking at clothing ads and street scene photographs. Then I bought modern clothes that were the same style. I bought a straw boater at a local hat company. (They were running a special - buy a straw hat and get a felt hat for half price, so I got a derby as well.) I bought a seersucker suit for dressy and some collarless shirts and a newsboy cap for less dressy.

The stuff offered by the vintage reproduction places tends to be of a style more like the early teens. By the mid-twenties, fashions were much closer to what they are today, as far as I was able to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Are you going to use a model T or your Rolls?? Dick Lodge has it right for the times with dress cloths but what about work or everyday like the model T?? A long sleive shirt,newsboy hat,and a pair of bibbs!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Work clothes?

Bib overalls and chambray work shirt are my regular uniform of the day. Straw hat for hot weather...

...newsboy cap the rest of the year. This is the kind of garb you see in a lot of shop photos from the teens and twenties.

Boys at Oak Grove, 1921-22 school year. Caps are off for the camera, but see how many are wearing overalls. Most of their dads were farmers and would be dressed the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

When it gets down below freezing (to about the mid 20's, I layer up with T-shirt, sweatshirt, and a
lighter fleece pullover. Anything below 20 and I am getting a heavy coat, knit cap, ear muffs, and gloves.

Strangely, after the first good run below 20. I find anything closer to 30 pretty balmy and never get
that wrapped up again for the rest of the winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Steve, You had me looking for my dad in that school picture. I have several of his grade school pictures and they look almost the same.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Steve, looks like your Sunday go to meetin clothes. I wear the same thing for working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 02:11 am:

The Lodges always looked good on Tour, And Steve is original Hayseed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration