Hogshead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hogshead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

I have a 26 engine and even with removable band ears it is a job installing the bands, I was wondering if anyone had put the bands on the drums and then set the hogshead without the pan, it has the two bolts at the top, dropped nut would fall on the floor, I could put it all together then install the pan without the gaskets being moved by the hogshead, has anyone done this.?

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

I have heard of it being done once, but I have never seen it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

I would worry about accidentally breaking the ears off the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Looks like to me it wouldn't be any easier than using a band clip or zip ties to hold the bands in place and installing the cover with the pan already installed.
Never thought about doing it that way. But maybe so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

Sounds like a good plan to me. Certainly worth a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

Put the bands on the drums, tywrap or safety wire the ears together as tight as you can then put the hogs head on. Install the pedals/tensioning bolt with nuts then cut the tywraps or safety wire and remove them. Be sure to pack shop rags around the drums to prevent anything dropped from going to the bottom of the pan. Count the rags and be sure the same number comes out as went in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

I do same as Chester accept I c clamp my band around the drum befor I tie it off usual this gives plenty of room start the nits on the pedal shaftesbury
Had a guy ask has anyone ever used hose to seal the hogshead to block
On mounting the hogs head this way there alot of leverage and could easily brake an ear or two I add a strap from the back u joint hole to a head stud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Well, I installed the bands and wire tied them so the wouldn't fall off, I then installed the felt and sealer, this car has no mag ring so there is plenty of room, I set the hogshead in place, inserted the two bolts to the ears and it is rock steady, I then put the bands in position and slipped the pedals on o the spring and installed the washers and nuts, clipped the ties and all is well, I did drop a nut but it fell on the floor, the ears are very sturdy and probably wouldn't break without some abuse, I did slip the ballcap into place with a bolt to help support it when I turn it over to install the pan. This method made it a lot easier.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 11:58 am:

I usually install the pedals, nuts and washers before setting the hogshead in place. No chance of dropping anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Royce, there was no pan so it was open underneath, it has removable ears on the bands.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

rick! i have put the pan on last for years then it is easy to set the pan gasket on the block& hogshead the put the pan on just any other motor.on a pre -26-27 you have to make couple of simple tools or i will lend you mine. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

Charley, I am done but thanks.
Royce, i mis-understood you, that would be great if I was younger and could hold the hogshead long enough to get everything in place before sitting it down in place, old age and a back that hurts all the time.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Rick ; I do it with my great help !!!
Toon
544R
545R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Rick,

The ty - wrapped bands allow the pedal shafts to slip into place. You don't need to hold anything longer than normal. I am no spring chicken myself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Royce, what do you do about getting the band springs to behave as you lower the hogshead? Do you have a set of those "fingers of steel"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

anthonie! i will add one of those to my tools if i ever have to work one of those nasty iron hogsheads, i sure hope not, the alum ones are not heavy. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

I have a tool that holds the pedals in place. It's a copy of a period tool. It keeps the pedals from flopping around as you set the hogshead in place.

It is made from a piece of 5/16" steel, a few old bolts, and a couple hours work with a hacksaw and file. The brass knob was made on the lathe, but you could just use a hex bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Royce, how is this tool used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

yes Royce show us where it gos,thanks. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Royce, I like your pedal position holding tool, that will be my next project. Thanks for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Neat-O even though I just got my engine done I be making up one of these myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:20 am:

Royce, that is indeed a neat tool! I've never seen one before. I saved this thread for future reference. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration