Aluminum Warford disassembly help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Aluminum Warford disassembly help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Feeling foolish about this, but before I do anything dumb, I thought I would ask. Have an aluminum 6 speed Warford which I am attempting to disassemble. I thought I knew how it goes, but it is stuck. What is the order/procedure for gear removal? Seems like the rear bearing should come out first with the race passing over/through the large threads. Photo shows this area. Comments?
bearing race area
removal area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Palmisano on Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

It's been a while since I disassembled one, so I am going off of memory. The rear bearing is removed by taking out the locking screw in the side of the case, then unscrewing the retainer. After these are out the bearing and race should slide out. With the rear bearing out the output shaft can be tilted up and removed. Once the output shaft is removed the input shaft can be removed complete by sliding it towards the center of the case. On the aluminum case(at least the few that I have disassembled, cast iron version has to be disassembled) you don't need to disassemble the input shaft to remove it. After the input and output shafts are removed, the counter shaft can be removed by removing both end caps. Be careful with the bearing between the input and output shafts, they are difficult to find.
What is stuck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Tom,
Thanks, that is the procedure that I have used before. What is stuck is the rear bearing outer race...it won't slide over the threads...or unseat from the casting (see photo area). Perhaps I need to heat the case.
Thanks again, John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration