Old Photo- Military T another one

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo- Military T another one
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:07 am:

Caption- "Lieutenant M G Faunce of the 6th Light Horse Brigade back left Major General Chaytor Brigadier General Ryrie and General Allenby watching from a motor car."

Interestingly a Left hand drive car, but definitely Digger's slouch hats on the soldiers behind the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:31 am:

Dane,

Note, it can sometimes be difficult to tell which side the steering wheel is on depending on the angle of the photo etc. and how familiar we are with the cars. I believe if you compare it to other photos you will see that it is actually a right hand drive (RHD) car.

For comparison purposes below is a photo of the 1917 Rip Van Winkle Model T Ford from page 23 of the May-Jun “Vintage Ford”. It is a documented LHD car BUT I REVERSED the photo to make it easier to compare to your photo. You will notice the steering wheel looks like it is in the same general position as the photo you posted.

Above I adjusted to color and contrast on your original photo you posted. We can see that the person in the left front seat is turned sideways and has his hands on the door. If he was in the driver’s seat he would not have room to sit like that due to the steering wheel.

The photo appears to be a 1917 Model T Ford - note the hood for a black radiator and the equal length windshield hinges. (Actually that is a USA dating -- I don't know for sure how long the UK or Australia used the equal length windshield hinges. But it is at least a 1917 and as late as when the UK and/or AU stopped using those hinges. Does anyone have information on when the UK, Canada, or Australian stopped using the equal length hinges?)

Again thank you for posting the photo.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:37 am:

Thanks Hap. Yes you are right, I see that it really is RHD.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration