Off Topic but very important

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Off Topic but very important
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:16 am:

Set some time aside today and reflect on the veterans that have gone before us. And create some extra room in your heart and prayers for those lost at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. God bless America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Well said Mike. My flag is going out shortly. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:16 am:

The History Chanel has a 2 minute recording of President Roosevelt’s speech to
Congress that was given the next day along with appropriate photos at:
http://www.history.com/news/5-facts-about-pearl-harbor-and-the-uss-arizona
We owe so much to so many – and we have so much to be grateful for. Thank you to all the veterans then and now.

Gratefully submitted,

Hap l9l5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:04 am:

My flag is up as well as my POW flag. When ask in the past on this date of "Why is you flag up ?" my answer is always..."It's a date that will live in Infamy" Some folks say Oh yes that's right it's December 7 Pearl Harbor day and others look at you like a deer caught in the headlights. I guess history isn't taught in school anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Last time I was in Hawaii It happened to be on December 7th (1979) I couldn't believe the number of people in line to see the Arizona Memorial, I wonder if it is still that way? It was one of my proudest days in uniform to be part of that ceremony! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:49 am:

I had a neighbor in his 30's ask me what powmia meant. When I told him it was P.O.W. / M.I.A. He got a blank look on his face and walked away totally clueless.

One day he asked me what the big deal for all the veterans was all about. I told him if it wasn't for the veterans his girlfriend wouldn't be able to get free groceries from social services to feed his illegitimate children. He smiled and said something about how lucky it was that she got that food. Otherwise, he'd starve. I told him he could probably do even better if he'd get a job. He didn't respond. Ah, the innocence of youth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Thanks Mike. Said my prayers (like every morning noon and night) and my flag is actually up 24/7 with a nice LED spotlight on it. Only take it down when the storms show up. Don't want it getting torn to shred. We get lotsa wind out here in the sticks.

So sad that a 30 y.o. was so naive! Love your narrative on the dude milking the system. Bet I know who he voted for!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:00 am:

My flag is 1/2 staff as a small tribute to the greatest generation. I have visited the monuments and memorials in Hawaii and they are a reminder o the brave men and women that served and the difficult times they endured.If you get an opportunity to visit he Punch bowl up behind Honolulu You can trace the Pacific Theatre of operations from Island to Island and atoll to atoll all the way to Japan.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:13 am:

A friend of mine Bill Menus, retired Air Force,fly's his flag half staff all the time. He said he spent along time protecting it,he could fly it as he wanted to. I said,"why half staff", He said, "Look at the condition of our country".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:35 am:

"Well said Mike. My flag is going out shortly. Dave"

My flags (7) are always out, I just put out more for day's like this! I will also dig the hole for my new flag pole today.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Heard on the news this morning 72 staff members of the department of homeland security are on the no fly list. Info was from a Democrat representative from Mass. WHAT???????????????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:42 am:

That was terrorist watch list, not no fly list which hopefully is the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:48 am:

I visited the FDR Presidential Library last month.
If you have not visited I encourage everyone to go. It is packed with informative displays covering his presidency. Among the many many letters, speeches and other documents on display is the president's copy of the Day in Infamy speech asking Congress for a declaration of war. It is powerful thing see this with his edits and changes in his own hand.

Never forget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:51 am:

We fly The Flag with the POW/MIA and Gadsden flags under it every day.

Half staff on "special occasions" such as today.

I would fly the US flag upside down as a sign of distress for the USA but am concerned that some of the neighbors would get the impression that we are crazy.
(as if the Trump sign ion the front yard hasn't already done that!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:03 am:

24/7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:49 am:

I had a neighbor in his 30's ask me what powmia meant. When I told him it was P.O.W. /
M.I.A. He got a blank look on his face and walked away totally clueless.

One day he asked me what the big deal for all the veterans was all about. I told him if it
wasn't for the veterans his girlfriend wouldn't be able to get free groceries from social
services to feed his illegitimate children. He smiled and said something about how lucky
it was that she got that food. Otherwise, he'd starve. I told him he could probably do even
better if he'd get a job. He didn't respond. Ah, the innocence of youth.

=======================================

"Somebody needs to pay for all my children ... "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqjZ0KZCa0

Ain't America great ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Get the Kleenex ready...

http://nethugs.com/inspirational/stories/ohio-boys-gift-to-soldier/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I remember December 7, 1941 very well. We heard of the attack on the radio of my father's 1938 Packard while driving in St. Paul, MN. Heard FDR's speech the next day. Do your remember the slogan, "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR"? I have been at the memorial at Pearl Harbor. I am also a veteran of the US ARMY from 1950-53. Two of my uncles served during WWII. A brother served in Japan from 1946-48.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:55 am:

A few years ago, we visited the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. It is an emotional experience. Tears came to my eyes when I saw on a plaque the name of my Middle School history teacher's husband who lost his life there. She was there and could see the attack from their home.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

While enroute to Viet-Nam, my Carrier the Oriskany CVA 34 tied up by the Arizona memorial. I later visited the Arizona Memorial and Punch Bowl. You must take a US Navy launch to the Arizona since its still under flag. Later, I visited Arlington and witnessed the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown. I also saw the Viet-Nam Memorial while in Washington. God bless all of those who served in the past and present and who will serve in the future

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration