Jeffersonville Ford Supplies -down at the tin shed, I like to build one of these-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Jeffersonville Ford Supplies -down at the tin shed, I like to build one of these-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:07 am:

I remember being around these type of places, but later than this. Not Ford suppliers, but farm repair sheds.
Some even had a dirt floor.
That door might have been made out of boxcar siding or bead board at an angle. Most likely tin though. There was a certain "feel" about a place like this. Do you know what I mean? Mine might even have a missing pane of glass too!

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:56 am:

Herb, yes I do. And I bet the roof leaked like a sieve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:59 am:

The buildings I remember like that had oil soaked dirt floors that you immediately correlate with men in greasy coveralls with wrenches in their hands. There was always a barrel stove in the corner and an old anvil on a stump. The workbench was made out of greasy 2X6 pine boards and had a leg vise bolted to it. That broken window got a piece of cardboard in it to replace the glass and there was always a spider web or two in the corners of the frame. I still remember that oil smell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:08 am:

The one I remember was in Wisdom Montana. It was not a Ford Dealer but a very early Chevrolet Garage.

Tin and wood building almost falling down , blacksmith forge and tools in the back. A small coral out back with wrecked and broken down cars. Upstairs was a host of nos parts on shelves and laying on the floor. When I was there n the early 70's they still had a working Visible gas pump on the side walk.

justsayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Herb kinda like this one. The center bay had Dirt floor for most of my life.
sk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

This is an earlier view.
ev

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

There is nothing like the rain or hail on a tin roof. Wonderful picture Herb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Rain makes a lot of noise on a tin roof. I was inside during a downpour and walked outside to find it was just a light sprinkle! Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I think I would like to visit either Dean's or Richard's shed.
Dean how many K's have been in your shed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Just wait till the snow and ice come sliding down!!

Dean, I hear you've been really warm there lately.
Come out to Cal to the Holiday Motor Excursion and see the Hawkeyes at the Rose Bowl! Save you a seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

My shop is still like most of what ya'll say. I have a concrete floor now, (cracked, oil stained, paint everywhere) but its "home" to me. I was going to build me a new shop. But I got to thinking about it. I have been in that shop over 35 years. It is built with cedar tree posts, old scrap lumber, used tin. The roof was from a house I tore down that was built in 1899 with tin replacing the wood shingles in 1919. My shop was termite infested. Its free of termites now. (I think they ate all the good wood and left :-)) So I have decided to just do some repairs and keep the old shop around. Too many memories and my kids and all the neighbors kids have grown up there. Its now the grandkids starting to work with "Poppy" in the shop. Wood stove for heat, snow/ice/or rain on the roof, full of tools and old cars, friends and family sitting around the stove, "priceless" .... If it lasts another 35 years I will not need it anymore.

shop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

I always thought those dirt floored farm repair sheds had a dirt floor for a reason. It was my thinking (guess) it was to allow crawler orchard tractors to be brought in without damaging the floor.

Of course, this point of view is influenced heavily by my California upbringing and the many old orchard crawlers I remember form my childhood. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 07:28 am:

Donnie I see you put the noisey air compressor outside. I think that is a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Looks good, Donnie -- I wouldn't change a thing! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 11:32 am:

I think Donnie's garage looks good too and I wouldn't mind having it myself.

That said, Donnie lives down south where the weather isn't too bad compared to here in Wisconsin.

Up here, you want to keep all of your old cars and parts indoors, at least in the winter. That's why my motto is "it's hard to build a garage that's tooooooo big!"

Donnie, do you have another building for storage, or can you leave cars and parts outside with no or minimal damage? Just wondering.....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Another tin roof at my place.
tr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Herb, I hope you get around to building one some day. It is fun to see Dean and Donnie's buildings. Pictures like that can be good inspiration. My Coupe and lean-to (left) were partly inspired by the Coupe and lean-to (right) pictured here on the forum several years ago. It was nice to have the parts and materials at hand. I think there must be many things we see here that spark ideas for some of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Dean: Snow slides off a tin roof better than a shingled roof. Of course in Iowa it freezes so hard that the snow glues itself to the roof!?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration