`26/`27 big drum conversion?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: `26/`27 big drum conversion?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:51 am:

My friend is building a speedster utilizing a big drum rearend....for various reasons, he is considering converting this rearend to a small drum setup. Anybody ever done this? Is it possible? Thanks for any comment/suggestions Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:55 am:

All he needs is a small drum rear end, or housings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Does he want brakes or aesthetics? What wheels does he have? If he has the big drum wheels and rear end he can set up the parking brakes to act as stopping brakes or does he have small drum outside brakes he want to use? If he is going to use the Rocky Mtn brakes, the 26/27 big drum use the stock brake drum.
But yes a small drum rear end can be used along with small drum wheels or remount the drums on his wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

Paul - In view of the fact that you said "a speedster", the big drums on the rear end sure make a lot of sense to me! The difference between small drum rear wheel brakes, and large drum rear wheel brakes is "HUGE"! And on a speedster, not even the most critical "purist" could criticize! I have a '26-'27 rear end with the large drums in my '23 touring, and I can tell you that "right or wrong" (I'm not a purist) those brakes are great! They will actually lock the rear wheels if I'm not careful. If I were you Paul, I'd try to talk your friend into keeping the large drums,.....especially on a speedster! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like the big drums are the way to go--he intends to use the Texas T parts rear drum/disc and caliper setup and they do have this for large drum setups. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Yes

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration