OT - Are some humans rude or just nuts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Are some humans rude or just nuts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:11 am:

I have been selling T parts on e bay for years, today I had someone send me e mail asking if I was joking for charging 7.00 to ship a box that weights about one pound, I tried to explain this will not fit in small flat rate and if it went to Il. then it would be 5.85
if it goes to Ca. it cost 8.50 and told him there has to be a medium. no I just found out USPS is getting rid of their reg. box A because they are losing money, we can not control the USPS rates
I guess you can not make everyone happy
We always refund excess postage on e bay
sorry just blowing off steam, Bob
Another Monday in the T parts shop
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Bob,

You did OK explaining that it does not fit in a small box.

After that you should have referred them to the UPSP about the cost of shipping and see if they can get an answer.

Or just answer "NO Joke- that is what it is!"
You might consider asking them if they would like you to set the shipping, handling, and packaging at $10 so they would not have to be concerned about that part of the cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:33 am:

We're all just Chimps that talk. Some still prefer the trees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:48 am:

One side of the T scene I appreciate is the relatively low cost of ownership and operation .... i.e.: parts.

The problem that always follows this "advantage" is the cheapskates and social misfits that will follow.

Whaddya gonna do ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Bob you have always been the most reasonable vendor when it comes to shipping. And I for one appreciate that. Don't let 'em get to ya! Just like Burger said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:12 am:

In many instances, I have found that USPS Priority Mail shipping via actual weight is cheaper than using the Flat Rate box regardless if you supply your own box or use a free non-Flat Rate USPS box.

I live near two branches of the Post Office. They only have the Flat Rate boxes on the shelf in the lobby at both branches. I have to ask for the non-Flat Rate boxes. One postal clerk admitted to me that they have been instructed not to put the non-Flat Rate boxes in the lobby and only give them to customers who ask for them. In my opinion it is a ploy to steer folks to use only Flat Rate boxes because, based on weight, it results in inflated postage for the sender. Also, it is not a very good business strategy, i.e., offering a variety of services yet keeping them a secret.

In my opinion, if they had more of a retail customer service mentality in how they run their business they wouldn't have all the problems they are currently experiencing.

With that being said, the USPS is still my first choice for shipping. I do think the rates are reasonable (especially when postage is purchased online) and they provide good service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:51 am:

When I order parts, I just pay the amount the vendor says for the freight. I figure it to be a bargain. Even to go to the nearest auto parts store from here is 30 mile round trip. The gas, wear and tear on the car is worth something. But you see the nearest auto parts store doesn't have very much to offer a Model T. Just oil, anti freeze, hand cleaner,generic gasket material and sealer etc. The nearest T parts dealer is at least 200 mile round trip, so I pay the freight happily.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Just a bit OT but I recently found out that USPS insurance on a package requires you to have the receipt for the item. You can't collect without one. Probably common knowledge but news to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

"The loudest cries come from the cheapest seats"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Bob, unfortunately some people are just too dumb to understand the realities of doing business. When you buy something online or from a catalog, the cost is the price delivered to your door. Remember the sign that says; "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? That guy would be on that list for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

If he does not like the price of shipping now, tell him to wait till Jan 1. I think they are all going up. Not just a little either. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Bob,

Try hauling cars .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Government keeps telling us the rate of inflation is very low. I wonder what the inflation rate of postage and shipping has been for the past ten years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

UPS Just has a new rate also about 4.5% plus you have to list the size of every package, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Now wait a minute. If it's such a pain in the butt doing business with people and you're that bothered by having to deal with what seems to be unreasonable requests and stupid questions, perhaps you should look into a different profession. Maybe something like picking fly shit out of pepper. (Sarc)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

It was not a request read the top postage was listed at a fair rate, maybe its time to quit this forum thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

you cant make everyone happy. but I think the good guys still out number the bad guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

I often wondered if we shipped it postage due, then the buyer of said item would be charged only what it cost for shipping, of course then they would have to track down the package if they weren't home when it arrived to pay for it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Almost anything shipped in a small package by almost anyone will cost at least 6-8 dollars.

The days of .10 cent stamps and shipping a package that weighs 2-3 lbs and up for $3.00 is long gone!

These kind of folks are the ones who will spend a dollar to save a dime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

I always look at it this way when I think something may be high on shipping,-- what would it cost me to drive there. That usually puts it in perspective pretty quick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Well to send a pound for 7 dollars cross country sounds reasonable to me.
Ebay gouges you for a % of shipping cost to.
greedy #(&$#)'s but anyhow that is another gripe! :-)

What will frost your privates though is to pay 10 dollars for shipping,either on ebay or whatever,and it gets to your mail box and it says, 2.84 postage.
That is what I get PEOD about. and the folks selling know that,but they keep the extra. That is wrong.
I have nicked someone's "stars" on ebay for that twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Some years back I was in the business of making and selling wheels for vintage airplanes. A pair of wheels weighed about 55 lbs and had to go in two boxes. Needless to say, the shipping was pretty steep.

I got many gripes about shipping cost but nobody seemed to mind the price of the wheels themselves. So I raised the price of the wheels by about $50 and lowered the cost of shipping to what sounded like a bargain. No more complaints.

"Ignorance in action is a terrible thing to behold." (Anon)

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

Robert/Bob: I think some are both. Rude as can be and dumb.
Some where back there was post about someone that went to some food place and ask 1/2 dozen items and clerk or cashier said we sell 6 at a time, so it seems that the clerk did not know the difference between 6 and a 1/2 dozen, and beside the cashier/clerk was a bit rude
Oh, just of what happened to me yesterday, I went to a Jack in the Box and ordered an Extreme Sausage Sandwich, and cashier rang it up and I paid for it.
The guy prepping for me looked out thru the window and said to/her/me no onions, and opps forgot to tell her. I have been in there so many times they know to always add onions. nuff said.
Sorry this OTS!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon-Pierre Smith on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

I sometimes buy pure lead, or lead/tin mix. It comes in a flat rate box packed full. I've stopped ever complaining about postage because of how cheap I've had it by the pound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Bob, having done business with you before and since your ownership issues. I have found you to be straight forward and up front with our transactions, and most accurate with your freight charges. Maybe they should try dealing with Snyder's or buy it on eBay with their surcharge fees.

I believe the man from Rice Minn is either a negative Nellie, or maybe maybe a bad chaw of snooze. His comment was really uncalled for and seems he missed the entire point of your post. Bob remember it's hard to have a battle of wits with a unarmed opponent.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Hey Guys, Mike Garrison was kidding. See the (Sarc) at the end and the smiley face a couple of posts down.
From what I've seen, both Michael and Robert are both straight shooters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Bob, venting is good for the soul. Hope you stay around. J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

My dealings with Bob have been nothing but straight! Trusting on what was said and agreed has been a relief from many others we all encounter. He's one of the 'Good Guys'! I appreciate having him in and with our hobby!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

Mike Garrison is a great T guy, at least hes willing to use his real name when posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 12:05 am:

I second and third what others have said..Mike G seems like a great guy and i enjoy his posts...I think some PMTS... "Post Model T season" has settled in, and some of us are having withdrawal symptoms...:-)...I'm still out working on the T as its been warm, and have not let the grouchiness take hold yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:21 am:

Guys, I understand your frustration at the cost of postage, we have the same problem here in Australia, but you should see the cost of getting T parts from the US to Aus and you have to also factor in the exchange rate.

I just bought two items from Fun Projects (St Louis mag tester and '27 coil box wood kit). The postage was $86. The total was $296. The exchange rate is AUD1= USD0.70 so I paid $406 for the purchase. I'm not complaining, it's just a fact of modern life.

All the sellers, I've dealt with, do a fantastic job and I will continue to deal with them all. I just have to pace my spending.

Cheers, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 11:07 am:

I think you're all a few bricks shy of a full load.

Just sayin' .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Burger -

That would only be a problem if we were building a Brick S%$t house. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Yeah,....most of us Model "T" guys,.....'bout a half a bubble from plumb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Funny it seems i read back in school that a post office was built by mailing the bricks to the location. True or not,I don't know.

Well I just hang on to a tree as the world keeps spinning so it won't sling me off! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

I have never found cheapness to be an endearing quality in people...short arms and deep pockets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Ever since I wrote that post I've wished I'd have thought twice about it. I admit I have a nasty habit of saying things the wrong way and have been known to seriously ruffle some feathers. I'm aware that every time I make a smarta__ remark, someone's going to react negatively. In this case I was being sarcastic.

I figured anyone who's not aware it's going to continuously cost more money to ship product has their head in the sand. For someone to raise hell with the person selling the product because the USPS, UPS, or Fedex is ludicrous. It's seems sort of like blaming the person who calls the fire department for burning your house down.

At any rate, I said it, it was taken in a different light than I expected, y'all are justified if I pissed you off. I apologize.

Bob, I buy a lot of product you sell. I don't buy it direct from you. However, one of the guys in our club submits orders for us on a regular basis to help us out. I'm not going to change the way I get my parts because I'm very comfortable doing business this way. Also for what it's worth, the things you've gone thru in the last couple years to continue supplying parts to our hobby is to be commended. Thank you,
Your friend in Rice MN
Mike

And, you're right, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. I hate going into a gun battle with a pea shooter but, hey, it's the hand I was dealt. I wish I had a brass T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 02:36 am:

Mike, thumbs up!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 02:39 am:

Are humans rude or nuts? Both, they're both.

As far as postage costs i can't even import parts anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:34 am:

Takes a real man to admit a mistake.

Well done, Michael!!

Merry Christmas, and best wishes for a Healthy New Year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:21 am:

I have been buying parts from Bob's Antique Auto Parts for 30 some years. In fact I used to buy from Bob's DAD. I have always found them to be above board. They will go out of their way to help you with an order.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Some dealers charge a handling fee on top of everything else. We don't because we don't sell retail.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration