Need Starting Battery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need Starting Battery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Byrd on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I have a 16 Touring, hand crank, no generator, and need a new starting battery. I need a suggestion on what battery to purchase that would do a good job. Would a 12v lawn mower battery with 320cc amps work? Thanks for any and all input!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:56 am:

You can start on something as simple as a hot shot dry cell as the coils draw very little current but if you need to run on battery because your magneto does not work I would use either a 12 volt motorcycle battery or one of those dry batteries that they use on kids ride on electric cars. They are small and recharge quickly and last longer than I can on a full day of touring on battery. One plus with the kids toy batteries is that they have quick disconnect features so you can take them out easily for charging if you don't have access to electricity where the car is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:59 am:

http://www.batteryclerk.com/products/universal-ub6120-t-6v-12ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html?spid=AJC-C12S-A-1-154903&aid=AJCC12SA1154903

No need to take it out for recharging. You can get a charger from John Regan's Fun Projects that will keep it charged by the magneto. http://www.funprojects.com/products/hsbck1.aspx

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on December 07, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Harold -

simple answer - YES

My dad used a lantern battery like this one for years in our 19.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

The question is does your magneto work? Will you be driving at night? If yes to 1, yes a lawn mower battery will work but so would a small closed rechargeable 6 volt battery. I'm not sure the lawn battery comes in a 6 volt.The answer to 2 would need further information if yes. Are you going to run the original type set up for your headlights in series off the magneto or are you going to change to an alternate set up for powering your headlamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Harold - Something you said does not sound right to me! You said,...."a '16 Touring, hand crank, no generator, and need a new starting battery."

With a hand crank, no generator (and I assume no starter) car, you don't need a "starting battery",.....what you need is a deep-cycle battery, and to my way of thinking, the ideal battery (altho' expensive) would be a 6 volt Optima battery. The 6 volt (only 3 cells) is quite narrow and compact, and the "yellow-top" 6 volt Optima is a deep cycle battery that will take many recharges and probably outlast you! They're great,.....just my opinion,.....FWIW,......"another" harold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Byrd on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

Magneto works ok. Just hard to start on magneto. Usually crank on battery and switch over to mag. Looking for something inexpensive that will do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

Lawn mower battery works for my '15.

Use it to energize the coils while hand cranking, then switch to mag and drive. Charge it Spring & fall.

I forget cost...$45.00 at Sam's Club maybe. Fits under the rear seat just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

No reason to go 6 volt, the coils will be very happy on 12 volts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration