OT - but ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - but ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

My uncle turned 98 Saturday so we went thru some of his papers this was his first new car he was working at the dealership so he got a discount

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Wow. Very cool document to have! Notice the sales tax was 3%. We've come a long way......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

I just noticed another interesting thing on this document. Up in the body of the invoice it says it's a 60 HP Tudor. Down at the bottom under Horsepower it says 21.6. Can anyone explain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Henry, it seems to me the cyl bore is a tad more than 2.6".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Many countries used odd archaic methods to calculate tax horsepowers from the cylinder dimensions. Illinois had some kind of license plate tax based on tax horsepowers according to this wiki article :
https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w iki/Tax_horsepower&ved=0ahUKEwiwu7y0-srJAhUhnHIKHVkWCYUQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNHLVFyk HxozhGp4N14GMYY9T7YQRA&sig2=SLcaPXuEEiMzMS6iU6aQSA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

"Henry, it seems to me the cyl bore is a tad more than 2.6".

The 60 horsepower notation is the giveaway. The car had the V8-60 powerplant. Optional small motor supposedly gave better gas mileage. Sure enough, bore was 2.6". Stroke 3.20". Only 136 cubic inches.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

21.6 horsepower is a compliment for a V8-60.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

I would think a 3% sales tax back then would be pretty steep actually. And I caught that HP thing at the bottom too. Weird. Unless I missed it, didn't see what his discount was. Probably ten bucks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

I'd say a little optimistic. As Ed sed. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Wow, I had no idea a 60 horse motor had such a small bore. It seems to me the 85 horse motor was somewhere around 3 3/16". And if I'm not mistaken that same engine could be bored another 3/16". My favorite Ford was. '37 Tudor slantback. All the time I was building the '38 Ford pickup I was drooling all over a friends '36 Tudor Slantback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

I just asked my uncle what his price was. he said his comission was 5% on new cars 6% on used. he said some weeks no sales at all! he also played a sax.in a band at nite. he started working at dealer while in high school as a gopher than became salesman. he said he liked the 60 horse never had any trouble with it kept it until he bought a new 40 tudor 85 horse. he has had 15 or 16 new fords in his life

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

For many years
IL taxed cars by a formula on the engine size.
As I recall it was bore X number of cylinders.
The stroke was not used in the formula.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Ed Baudoux is right on.
The ironic thing about the V8 60 is it only produced 94 foot pounds of torque whereas the 50 hp 4 cylinder engine of 1932-1934 produced 127 foot pounds of torque.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

My Dad bought a 37 Tudor with 60, radio, and right side tail lite for $622. He bought a 39 Chevy cause the Ford was very anemic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 02:42 am:

I have a 35 3 window with the 60 engine, it has to be revved to work properly. The engine was designed for the European market where tax was calculated on bore, just as above. My car was sold as The V8 22hp (16.10s tax).

There was a whole car designed around the 60 motor, the Model 62, sold in France as Matford, also made in Germany. here's a link with all the UK Fords from the mid 30s
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_spotters_guide_europe_1936.php

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration