Handicap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Handicap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Does anyone have a suggestion on taking a paraplegic for a ride in a touring car? We have a 26 and haven't seen anything related to this. Thought of a carrier for two people to lift a stretcher-like board but as you all know doors are very small.

Any help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

The only thing I can even think of is one of the medical type cranes to lift them in---not sure if they would go high enough though. Or make an attachment for a regular engine crane? Especially if it will be more than one time for a ride?

If you can pull this off, it would probably be one of the best days of this persons life. I wish you the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Talk to the local school and see what they use to move paraplegic kids. That or contact the local nursing home and ask their advice. Who knows? Either one might be able to help you out. Makes great PR for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Depends on what they weigh.
It may be best just to get 2 jocks from the local gym to come down and pick them up and set them in the car.
I know when I was a fireman we had to evacuate the local home for kids in this shape and it got to the point it was easyer just to grab them and carry them than to try to use the equipment to move them around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

My sons friend was paralyzed from the waist down. He had two good sized friends put him in the back seat with the top down of my 19 open touring car with no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

We had a family reunion about a year ago. There was a cousin of my wife who was a double amputee, at the reunion. I was giving rides in the T to anyone who wanted to go. He just sat in his chair and every time I stopped, he would look at the car. and I could tell he was very interested in the car. I asked if he wanted to ride and his eyes just lit up. There were enough big ole boys there to just pick him up and sit him in the back of my 27 touring. I took him and his wife for about a 10 mile ride thru the back country roads near me. After the ride, he just kept thanking me for taking him and the wife for the ride. It is a very rewarding thing to do, for all involved. As long as there are no other medical concerns, I would think just pick him up and put him in may be the best approach ... hoping for your success ... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I have a 23 depot hack my dad built for my mother who had 11 prosthesis. For seats he used the front seats of a VW Bug. He built a false door that would open and two rails 3/4 pipe would fold down and lock against the running board. He put a small 12v wench under the drivers seat and a slanted frame under her seat with rollers that rolled on the pipe. It stopped when it was the same highth as her wheel chair. He would lift her up, pivot, and into the wheelchair and off they would go. With a Warford, dual exhaust manifold, high compression head, aluminum Pistons, A crank, and new cam they went on many tours before her passing. I now have the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Harry, I remember your Mom and Dad from being on several T Club tours with them. I could tell that your Dad was 100% dedicated to her, and it seemed that she was always willing to go on T Tours with him, even though it was difficult.

Didn't he also have a winch device on a '26 Touring to lift her up to get in also?

May they rest in peace.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Harry, I too remember your parents by touring with them. He had a late touring with an A engine mounted to a T crankcase if I remember correctly. Your Dad also built a car like Henry Ford's first car. Your Dad was very talented and also very kind to your Mom.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration