1926 Grease U joint and steering.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1926 Grease U joint and steering.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Should I pack the u joint and the steering gears tight with grease like a wheel bearing?

Travis
Topeka Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

Yes. The steering gear will stay greased for a long time while the u-joint may need frequent additions of liberal amounts of grease to stay filled up and to avoid oil leaks from the fourth main (if it's worn).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I go a little sparingly with grease in the steering gears. Too much and it will ooze out of the threads and make a mess all over your nice clean pants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:45 am:

What Ron said!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Ron and Jerry are correct. I overfilled my steering gear, and every time I reached in to adjust the spark and throttle after starting I became Mister Greasy Hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

^ would Teflon plumbers tape be a good idea on the threads of the steering hub?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

My opinion is the plumber's tape probably wouldn't do any harm, but is really not necessary as long as you don't pack the steering gear case full of grease to the point that the gears pump it out every time you turn the wheel.

Make sure that the locking screw is installed and tight after working on the case so that the case cover can't rotate when you turn the steering wheel!

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration