Found something interesting today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Found something interesting today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Over the summer I picked up a TT chassis that had a late engine in it and I went ahead and removed the head to free it up. Today I cleaned the top of two pistons and found no Ford stamped on top of any of the pistons. They were stamped 040 and having never seen CI pistons this large went and double checked with a expanding gage. Looks like very little wear. Hope I can find rings for this size when I go through the entire engine. Anyone ever come across a CI pistons this large?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Jerome,
Are you talking about the late 27 welded 'tin can' pistons? I'm pretty sure cast iron rings won't fit and although Egge says that they might have a replacement piston, I doubt that rings for their aluminum pistons would work, either. Good luck, you better have a patient auto parts store manager in town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:07 am:

CI, cast iron. CI Rings are listed, available? up to .060" through the T vendors.
Ford period parts books list up to .045" pistons,(Canadian) and .033" in US books. I've seen listings from after market suppliers in early years listing CI T pistons up to .120"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 04:24 am:

i cut down iron rings to fit in alloy pistons. They were half the thickness. Double the alloy rings to reach standard iron thickness.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration