Front axle stablizer unit,,Quality and fairest price, WHERE?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front axle stablizer unit,,Quality and fairest price, WHERE?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M.Saleh on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 09:24 am:

i'm looking for a decent front end stabilizer unit. There was a hot rod place a year ago that sold them at half of what Lang's and others do and better made ...I can't find them again web searching.
Any ideas or suggestions.

Also looking for recommendations for vintage distributor rebuilder for a standard design Autolite Dist, for a 1920s non Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 09:28 am:

I'll sell you my Lang's unit for $50.00 including USPS Priority flat rate shipping, PM me if you're interested.

I replaced all my front end bushings and tightened up all the other loose spots in my steering, so I don't need the stabilizer any more. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:34 am:

You wouldn't need a decent stabilizer unit if your front end was decent to begin with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:49 am:

I'd spend that money on new bushings and fix what's wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

SoCal steering stabilizer is probably what you are looking for. I got one last year(and the forum also recommended not doing it!) and it was so crappy looking and cheap I just put it on ebay and sold it at a loss.

do what larry said - clean up or replace your parts right and avoid the quick fixes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

http://www.est1946.com/steeringstabilizer.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 02:18 pm:

I'm in agreement with "fix It" camp here, David. I would be cautious about adding any aftermarket device that could prove detrimental to the proper performance of your car. Not sure what year your project is, but you may also want to consider a Model T sanctioned steering upgrade in the form of the 5:1 steering gear change as per the 26 and 27 models. Some have had difficulty installing this retrofit...I had no problem upgrading (2) 12's.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

My question would be what year T and style front end are we talking about? If it is the most common standard '20s style with the wishbone under the axle, and you feel that greater stability is needed? Then the prevailing comments are all right on! There must be other issues that need to be fixed first. On the other hand, if it is the earlier "over-the-axle" wishbone? Then there are stability concerns that should be considered. The most common original era stabilizers were made simply from some angle iron, and are easy to duplicate. They are generally more than adequate provided everything else in the front end is in good condition.
If it a speedster, or anything else other than Ford factory type, or has other special considerations? Then much more information is needed for proper answers.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David M.Saleh on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

OH,,,I'm not new to model T or it's front end problems or restoration. Had them off and on for 40 years.

The Stabilizer needed now is just a temp patch and it's good for that.
We want to keep this original '23 ,300 plus day a year, sun ,rain, snow ice and salt driver car going till we are up to and have the time to do the restoration repairs planed in the spring...
We have an occasional shimmy now. Just need to tame it down .
Thanks for the concerns. And answers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration