1924 touring car brake band

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1924 touring car brake band
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Casey Mitchell on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Can anyone give me the readers digest version on how to replace brake bands? Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Casey,

"bands"? There's only one brake band. Do you mean the transmission brake band or the emergency brake linings? Or, perhaps auxiliary brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 01:53 am:

Casey, that is great profile picture! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Casey Mitchell on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:37 am:

Henry, I'm fairly new to the hobby so I guess the transmission brake band. I tried tightening the band I have but I guess I'm out of adjustment. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:56 am:

Casey, are you talking about the band under the transmission cover? If so, be careful how much you adjust that. The band should clamp to the brake drum when you depress the brake foot pedal 2" from the floorboards (gives you some wiggle room). Remember also when braking, to pump the pedal, don't just stomp on it thinking it will stop...the bands work in oil and you have to let up on the pedal to allow oil to cover the band otherwise you'll burn it out. Also allow yourself 2 to 3 time as much room to stop as you would in a modern car.

If you're talking about the emergency brake, you have to take in the clevis at the rear wheel a bit...make sure you adjust them pull the rods as evenly as you can make them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:17 am:

The Model T Ford service manual is a must for T owners. Read and study it for the best results!

The information for changing the transmission bands is in there along with the other procedures you'll need to know about.

Get an idea of what you need to do using the manual as a guide. This way you can learn what NOT to do. It will save you much grief and %^^&&**!!
Most anybody on the forum will tell you this.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

Casey,

Since you're new to T's I'd suggest you play around with the adjustment before tackling a band replacement. It could easily just be an adjustment issue.

If you do determine it needs a new brake lining, be sure to look the other two bands over carefully while you're at it. If the brake band is worn it's reasonable to think the others may also need attention.

VERY IMPORTANT!! Be sure to stuff some rags on the transmission before touching anything. You DO NOT want to accidentally drop anything in there!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

The transmission brake works by a cam on the brake pedal working with a cam screwed to the transmission cover (= the hogshead)
When the pedal is depressed the cams makes the pedal shaft move sideways and clamp the brake band around the brake drum.
Much may have happened over 93 years, so check the cams so there is proper movement in the shaft. Sometimes the pedal has been bent, reducing the effective clamping of the brake band.

If the bands has been changed to the quick change type with removable ears, then it's theoretically possible to change the bands without removing the hogshead.
If you are very skilled you may do it - but I think I'll pull the hogshead next time just to get some room to work - it's really cramped working through the inspection lid..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration