Distributor points

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Distributor points
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Hi folks,

I'm not a mechanic but I have been reading past posts and have rebuilt a 1924 TT. I changed the valves to stainless steel and added adjustable tappets. I believe I installed them correctly with the help of all your past posts.

The engine is ready for a test start. It has a Bosch distributor ignition system. The coil sends spark to the distributor cap but I get no spark at any spark plug.

I set cylinder one at TDC and lower the piston about 3/8ths of an inch. At this time the rotor is pointing to the number one spark plug in the rotor. The points are closed at this time. I believe they should be open. Am I right?

If so, how do I get them to be open ?

Thanks for your help and patience with the basics.

Manny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Manny, I feel your pain.
Check out
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/575983.html?1444247111

They guys really explain that the point are open when the coils fires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Thanks Steve, I think I may have the answer. I wasn't aware you could loosen a nut to turn the distributor so that the cam lobe opens the points. Heading to the operating room now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

It is important that you understand that the spark happens when the points open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Make sure your rotor has continuity from the center to the end. Had to replace mine this summer with that problem it was about 7.00 at NAPA

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration