1913 Touring Body Reinforcement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1913 Touring Body Reinforcement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

I am working on my 1913 Touring, and realized that the front top sill of both rear doors are about 5/8" above the top of the molding at the rear of the front seat.
Rear Door
In looking at old photographs from the forum, it is evident that the tops should be even. I have read about 1913 Tourings that needed reinforcement. Given that my Ford dealer will probably not supply and install reinforcements, what can I do to alleviate this problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

To explain more fully, is the mis-alignment because of a sag in the rear end, pushing the rear of the body up, or is a sag in the middle of the car, causing the back of the front seat to sag down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Hi Michael,
Our 13 touring has the lower reinforcement brackets, has not sagged and it is an original body/wood. There is also a totally original local 13 touring with no reinforcements and that body has not sagged.
Suggest contacting Larry Smith to see if he has a set of reinforcement brackets that you could have copied. Also, looking at your pictures.....it looks like the damage has all ready been done and will require some new wood before adding the brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

I may have an extra set of original reinforcements.I will check tomorrow. There was also an extra brace which bolted to frame toward the rear of car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:52 am:

There are at least two different reinforcement braces. One body had thick sills and did not need reinforcement. I believe the Wilson and Hayes bodies had skinny sills and perhaps Beaudette too, so there is a possibility of three variations in the body braces.

So Michael, this leads to my point - what is the maker of your car's body? There should be a stamped number in the wood below the front seat cushion near the front.

Note to Hap - do not suggest that there is a stamped metal letter in the seat base as I do not think that practice started until at least 1914 calendar year.

This is the number stamped in the wood under a 1913 touring with Hayes body number H104470. The engine serial number on this unrestored '13 is 183934. The block casting date is 12 9 12 = December 9, 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Royce,
Some photos...
Serial Number
sn
Casting Date
Casting
Body Number
body
When I removed the panel underneath the rear seat, I expected to see a reinforcement like what you had posted on this subject several years age, as seen in this photo-
prev
Instead, as you can see, there does not appear to be reinforcement, and someone before me welded a piece of stock in the area. It appears to do nothing now, but I am wondering if it provides a clue as to the symptomology of my door misalignment.
rear
I am hoping someone can provide some insight and direction.
Regards,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

My 1913 touring car has a Beaudette body with reinforcement brackets. The engine number is 326,588 (mid-August 1913).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

My '13 is 254,xxx and has the thicker seals, hence no steel reinforcement brackets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration