Xmas at MTFCA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Xmas at MTFCA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Christmas is just a few weeks away and we hope you have been able to put the MTFCA on your gift list. We have, until the end of Dec., a matching donation program at the MTFCA. You may donate to either the MTFCA general fund or to the museum and your donation will double due to a $20000 gift that will match what you give. Many of the posters and readers of this MTFCA sponsored forum, for one reason or another, are not members of MTFCA. This would be a great way to say thank you to the MTFCA for making this forum possible. Click on "DONATE" under the MTFCA logo on the home page to get started. Merry Christmas to all and have a safe holiday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Done and done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:43 am:

Merry Christmas to You & the Missuses Jerry ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:52 am:

It's Christmas, NOT Xmass! Just one of my pet peeves. Spell check doesn't even like it! Sorry for the rant, but it's important to me. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:23 am:

It's actually Xmas

From http://blog.dictionary.com/xmas-christogram/

Here’s a holiday surprise that only the dictionary can provide. Do you find the word “Xmas,” as an abbreviation for Christmas, offensive? Many people do.

You won’t find Xmas in church songbooks or even on many greeting cards. Xmas is popularly associated with a trend towards materialism, and sometimes the target of people who decry the emergence of general “holiday” observance instead of particular cultural and religious ritual.

But the history of the word “Xmas” is actually more respectable — and fascinating — than you might suspect. First of all, the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s. X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial Christogram. The mas in Xmas is the Old English word for “mass.” (The thought-provoking etymology of “mass” can be found here.) In the letter in the word ×ñéóôüò. And here’s the kicker: ×ñéóôüò means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years. This device is known as a same vein, the dignified terms Xpian and Xtian have been used in place of the word “Christian.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:33 am:

Thank u DAVID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:55 am:

Perhaps I am reading something into this. But I merely pointed out that spell check will reject Xmass because it's spelt wrong.

Do I use Xmas? No, I say Merry Christmas and I sent out my Christmas cards complete with Virgin and Christ stamps. I even am aware that yesterday was Mary's feast day because they asked me if I could usher at the evening mass.

The bottom line is Xmas is not an advertisers abbreviation. We may have personal dislikes of a term, but if it's spelled correctly, it's legitimate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:43 am:

I am with Richard,Thanks David.
Merry Christmas.
I had typed alot more but, whats the use?,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Thanks for the information, Tom. I don't use "Xmas" either, but it's good to know the etymology of the word.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Merry Christmas to all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:58 am:

I am highly offended that my religion is being defamed by the use of the word Xmass and intend to immediately report this to the ACDL.(Anti Christmas Deformation League) :-)

I can't give you any specific information about what they are going to do, but the people of the world will be shocked when a bright star rises over Bethlehem and wise men journey there with Frank, Sense, and Myrtle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Fred you're early. 20 + C + M + B + 16 is next month.

(Message edited by tmiller6 on December 09, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

For anyone confused by parts of this discussion? Somebody (Chris B himself I would imagine) corrected the typo that WAS in the title of the thread. I saw it myself earlier.

I may add, please try to not be offended by the use of the word "Xmas". I say that, even though I personally tend to be offended by it myself for the very reasons already expressed. And I have also known the etymology of the contraction for many years. Based upon the etymology, it should not be offensive. But I still tend to associate it with a significant loss of the real meaning of Christmas.
All that said? Taking offense where it MAY or MAY NOT be warranted is one of the worst sources of religious contention in the world.

Merry Christmas to all!
Joy to the World.
I mean both of those with all my heart.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Thank You W2!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I've used the xmas thing maybe twice in my life. I never really thought it was a very good way to abbreviate Christmas. And now Wayne has got me all worked up because of that word he used. When I first read his post I thought that etymology word meant something like; the study of bugs or something! Now I have to see if I can find that word in my dikshunery. That darn Wayne will get us edikated yet one of these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

The typo is not corrected, It still says Xmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:57 am:

Thread redirect alert!
The original purpose of this thread was to encourage those that are able to consider putting the MTFCA itself, or the MTFCA Model T Ford Museum on their Christmas list. It is doubly a wonderful thing to do at this time, not only because it is Christmas! But because there is a matching grant offer in place to double your gift! (Up to a specific limit, but high enough to really make a difference.)

The original typo was a second "s" in Xmas in the thread title (Xmass really caught my eye when I first saw it). It has been corrected. Again, I would imagine Chris B quietly slipped in and corrected a minor error like so many things he does for us, usually unnoticed. This time, however, it had been noticed, and a multi pronged discussion ensued.
And please, don't let the Xmas take any of the joy out of your Christmas!
Thank you Chris B for all that you do for us. I know it involves a lot more time and effort than most of us are aware of. Most of us do appreciate it very much. Even though we are a pesky little bunch, aren't we?

Now. If you can afford to, and are willing, please do consider making a small (or large?) donation to a very worthwhile cause. There are several other threads with additional details on the matching funds and even a possible gift back to you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 06:54 am:

Wayne,

Spot on !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Yaeger on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:56 am:

Thank you, Wayne!

Any questions about the Challenge Match, please don't hesitate to contact me via email or phone.
susan@mtfca.com
765-855-5248

A sincere thanks to all who have donated already or are considering including the MTFCA and Museum in your year-end gifting.

Susan Yaeger, MTFCA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

BUMP!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Our donation went out in yesterday's mail. It is a worthwhile endeavor ,but to make it better and last longer,we have to support it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration