Old Photo - Model T Era - Saturday Matinee 1925, Hat's And Knicker's Were Sure The "Thing"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model T Era - Saturday Matinee 1925, Hat's And Knicker's Were Sure The "Thing"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:29 am:

Who is Carrie??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Here's a few more period "Street Kids" photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Here's a link for who Carrie was.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/3228

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:52 am:

It's my understanding that boy's weren't allowed to wear pants until a certain age - I believe 15. Knickers were the common dress for boys until they reached the "coming of age" and were allowed to wear pants. Maybe that explains why the young fellow on the right appears to be showing off his "pants", as he doesn't appear to be that much older than the rest of the boys and perhaps is breaking the unspoken rule a little early!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:56 am:

I guess that's why I find it amusing to see so many grown men at antique car gatherings wearing their versions of knickers - when in fact it was considered boy's wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Men certainly wore knickers. See photo below - one man in particular is long gone but his name is still mentioned continuously today.

Talk to my father about wearing knickers. I consider him to be among the last of the "knicker generation." He wore them until he was 12 years old (the early 1940s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Certainly, men may have worn knickers on occasion, such as golfing, but as a form of everyday apparel they were generally associated with young boys. It was considered a rite of passage for a young man to graduate to long pants. By the way, that appears to be Walt Disney to the left of the little girl and his brother (second on the left) Roy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Now here are some stylish golfers! :-)

stooges

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

My u clearance all grew up during that time, I don' t recall seeing any of them in knickers. Didn't seem to be the fashion on the farm where they had to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

It's interesting that half of the kids in the first pic are smoking, and probably passed their cigarettes to the others right after this pic was taken. Most are pre-teens. My Dad began smoking when he was 9. He died from lung cancer when he was 67. I'm certainly glad I never got caught up in that. Watch old movies, and everyone is smoking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Knickers is one of those cultural things difficult to follow. Bad enough that the word means something entirely different in England and most of the UK than it does in America. What we tend to think of as knickers here for the purpose of this thread is a style of pants that has been around in many forms since before the French revolution. In various times they have been worn by many different classes of royalty, wealthy, and poor, young and old separately or both.
In this country, they were the prevailing style for boys from about 5 to 15 years old throughout the 1920s. They were somewhat common for some time before and following the '20s, however short pants without buckles were also more common. In the third picture, (second posting, second picture), at least two boys are wearing non-knicker short pants. And they look like a tough crowd. Short pants were commonly worn either with or without long socks. Knickers generally were worn with socks long enough to buckle the knickers on the socks. There are several variations within the style blanketly called knickers. Some were intended to buckle above the knee, some were intended to buckle below the knee (these include "plus fours").
Adult men wore knickers off and on for many years. Especially as sportswear. Tennis, Basketball, Baseball, and many other sports players can be seen wearing knickers from the mid 1800s up until about World War Two. Race car drivers and owners often wore knickers on and off the track during the '10s and '20s. Barney Oldfield was often photographed wearing them.
I, and several close friends, do collect era clothing. I have seen many original knickers, both the pants alone in materials not generally used for coats of any kind, and full suits, often even three piece suits. I have several original pair of men's knickers, one beautiful pair that I can still wear. I have never found a knicker suit that came even close to fitting me. Even before I put on too much weight, I was way too tall for any such thing I ever found.

As a style? It is easy to look back and laugh at the people dressed so silly. But knickers are comfortable. It is easy to move and be very active in them. They are a sensible style. They are a million times better than several currently common styles of pants wearing.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Knickerbockers.!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

In 1946 my father was transferred to Ottawa, Canada, and our whole family moved there. I was 9. I showed up at school in long trousers and was laughed at. All the school boys were wearing knickers, so for the next two years, I wore knockers.

In 1948 my father was transferred back to the States, and we all came home. I showed up at school wearing knickers and was laughed at. Haven't worn 'em since. So sometimes it was a local cultural thing. Probably less so now, since jeans seem to have taken over the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Thank you Wayne. I thought I read somewhere that the first time Barney Oldfield raced, he used the number 3 for his car. That's why I put it on my speedster. Some kid told me this last summer it was Dale Earnharts number. I told the kid I didn't think he was very bright and maybe he should stick close to his Mommy. He told me to not get my knickers in a bind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 03:24 am:

"He told me to not get my knickers in a bind." I think he was using the English/UK version of the Knickers definition? Although, frankly, I have yet to fully understand exactly what that means even after translating it from "English" to "American"?
Two nations separated by a common language, and 200 years of linguistic evolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By justin cox on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Wait--- that kid has a rifle and the cops are not being called? I am sure he is going to be a felon, and his parents will be in jail for letting him have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

"He told me to not get my knickers in a bind."
I have never said that thinking about boys pants, it's usually the other (English) ones! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

If I'm not mistaken the long gun the kid in the 2nd picture is holding is a Daisy model 25 BB pump gun. It sure looks like the one's that I still have.
Daisy started making them in 1914. I have 2 of them and I bet most all boys had one growing up.

I shot a ton of bb's through mine back in the 50's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

"You'll shoot yer' eye out kid!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

my dad told me the first day he wore long pants to school the older kids took his pants and hung em in a tree

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration