Pretty close to the Holy Grail of Carburetors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pretty close to the Holy Grail of Carburetors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:30 am:

This is the rare and elusive Holley S, used for a short time in 1913, during the transition from the H-1 to to the G. Notice that the choke shaft is vertical, the rod runs over the top of the carb, the arm pulls forward for choke. This is about the smallest of all the T carbs, the later two screw is the same size, then they got bigger overall.

They are a very simple carb and similar to the later Holley G but the G had many improvements (or at least changes) such as the independent idle tube, the cast venturi, a replaceable inlet seat with an adjustable arm, a larger bowl for more fuel reserve and a larger throat. I think most of these were taken off and replaced pretty early on.

This is only one of a very few I've seen and is in the nicest condition. The bowls are made from unobtainium and the rest of the carb is made from hardtofindium.

This one is pretty close to perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:35 am:

The Holy Grail of T carbs is the 6 Ball, used for a few cars in 1910?? 11? 12?

This one is modified new old stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Very nice Stan, that one should reside in a glass case filled with helium to prevent it from tarnishing.:-) You always do such nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Thank you, G R. It is available if you would like to add it to your showcase. =) It is not done yet, just preliminary cleanup. Could be a Christmas present.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Boy Stan, You have done it again showing one of your works of art. I really enjoy seeing the great work you have done. Thanks for Sharing it with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

So how do you choke the S from in front of the car? Use a push rod instead of a pull wire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Beautiful workmanship.
On the Holly S how many of the parts did you have to manufacture or did you have all of it to start with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Steve, I haven't replaced the spring yet. It pulls to choke the same as all the others. The choke is in the full choke position in the photo.

Dennis, this one was complete. As I said to G R, this is just a preliminary cleanup. It still needs a needle and seat, choke spring and some work on the bowl.

Lang's used to have some bowls that fit these but I bought the last one they had several years ago and nobody is making them. I looked long and hard at a brass spinning lathe on ebay a couple years ago before I decided I had too much work already, I didn't need to start trying to make bowls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

I like the way a T runs with a Model S carburetor. I bought three of them in order to get one with a good bowl. The bowls are notorious for age cracking, like many early carburetors.

The regular T choke rod fits, same as any other T carburetor.

I know that there was a run of reproduction 6 ball carburetors a few years ago made by Glen Johnson. They were nice to look at. That one of Stan's looks like an original though. I wonder if anyone has any experience driving a T equipped with one? I've never heard if they run good or if they were discontinued by Ford for good reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Stan, on the S model's parts, what's the half round wire for and where does it go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Wish that was on my 11open runabout. I was just in Redlodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Martin, that's the spring wire that holds the venturi in place.

Richard, it could be. EVERY Model T carburetor I have is for sale, all the time, any time. Just bring money. I didn't post it to sell it, I do that on my web site, but it was so nice I thought I would take a minute and post it. Most of them are not so nice and they were low production to begin with. Many people have never seen one, I've only seen a few and I'm on the search for T carbs most of the time.

As I said, it's for sale. I'm over the "collection." If I could find time to do it I would put every carb I own on ebay or sell them somehow. I have invested thousands and thousands of dollars in carbs, should have invested in something else instead. Nobody else cares much about saving them. I paid a lot of money for some of them, I'd be pretty happy to get it back. I need a new pickup and college money for a girl worse than I need a bunch of carbs setting on a shelf to look at.

If you want to see some of the ones I have there is a page on my web site that shows some of the accessory ones. www.strombergof.com , click on the accessory carburetors tab. I'm not doing a lot of T carbs anymore, mostly brass carbs for larger cars and accessory ones for speedsters, etc.

I have two NH's to do for a friend who is running in the Montana 500 and doing OK running my carbs, those are the last two NH's I will ever do for anybody but myself. No money in it. Cores are impossible to find and I end up with as much time in one of them as doing a UUR-2 Stromberg or something like that for somebody that doesn't mind paying for my time and whatever expertise I've gained in the last 60 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I picked up an S a few years back for chump change at a swap meet. Unfortunately, the bowl is cracked, soldered up, and cracked some more. Nothing near as nice as the one above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Well I consider myself lucky, because in addition to a Holly G, this also came with my '13 I bought last January, I believe it's an "S", probably was on the car, which currently has an NH. Once this one is refurbished, it goes back on the '13. The bowl is in perfect shape from what I can tell. Heck, even the cork float is like new, but I'll have a new version put on, or at least have this one coated. Just needs a few parts & some TLC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

Stan, I think this is the rarest of all, the early 1909 buffalo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

I have one of those setting on the shelf waiting to be rebuilt. Right at the moment I have 3 Buffalo carbs waiting, all different but all early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

The hard part is getting one that was used on a 1909T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

One I have is for an N, R, S and one is for an early T. I have them in my safe, I'll try to get them out and take a photo and post it, Kim, you probably know which one is the earliest, etc. They are very, very cool carbs, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Would love to see what's inside that Buffalo, looks interesting and would be fun to draw too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

Stan,

In a recent post you said that you have a 1" X 24 tap for the H-1 inlet nut ? Dang !

Some years ago I bought a really nice H-1 for my '12, but it didn't have a nut with it. Not wanting to spend the bucks for a tap to make one nut, I made one on my lathe. Any idea how tries it takes to single point an internal thread and have it come out the right size? Especially when you have to take the nut out of the lathe before you know if the threads are to size. I have no idea how many nuts I made before I got one that threaded on OK. For each trial nut I carefully logged the dial settings before removing from lathe, then increased the cut a couple thousands on the next one.

I have no idea how much you charge for such a nut, but if I had it to do over again I'd buy one of yours in a heartbeat !

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

You've been reading my mail. I tried a couple of those fine thread, large diameter threading projects, too. I am not machinist enough or don't have lathe enough - one or the other - but if I'd have paid myself for my time I could have bought the tap and die set and had enough left over for a beer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 12:43 am:

I, too, have one of those two-screw Holley S carburetors. I was going to try it on my '11. How does it compare in performance to a Holley G?

I also have a four-ball that I'd like to try, but it needs a new float...

: ^ )

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration