Stan, Been waiting over 4 months for the return of my NH carb, What's up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stan, Been waiting over 4 months for the return of my NH carb, What's up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Since I returned the defective NH carb to you I bought off you over 4 months ago, I have still have not seen it. You did mention a long time back that it was on your bench. Whats up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

First of all, it was not defective when it left here. It was defective when you returned it. It passed the leak test and was test run before it was set out. I still agreed to warranty it/replace it due to the inlet being cracked and the float leaking.

I told you I hadn't been able to find a good core with good threads on the inlet and the base and that when I did I would do it for you. To which you responded that you were in no hurry. I can post those emails here since you chose this venue to complain about me if you wish.

I also told you that I would refund your money if that is what you wanted.

I did well over a hundred carbs last year for customers from South Africa to Norway, Japan and Argentina as well as virtually every state in America. I am 73 years old and working as many hours a day as I can stand to work. I worked Thanksgiving Day, all that weekend, last weekend and am staying home working over Christmas trying to get caught up. I just shipped a couple to the Hilton Head Concours and two to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum. I sent two out yesterday that had been here since last spring or early summer.

I also own two ranches, two other businesses and am doing everything I can to take care of all of them. This started out as a hobby and is still a secondary business for me but I am working a lot of 12-16 hour days trying to get work done, answer 10-40 emails a day and phone call after phone call looking for free information.

I will have you a check in the mail today, I am sure you can find somebody who does the kind of work you demand and a cheaper price and who can take care of you in the time you want.

I will say this: I have had to include for the first time since I started doing this years ago a sheet detailing what I will warranty and what I will not. I will not warranty inlets that are cracked from over tightening, wrong threads or cross threaded; needle valves that are plugged from some kind of goop used on threads, parts that are switched from the parts I sent out, carbs that are coated with gummy old gas or other similar problems. I warranty MY work but I won't warranty anything that was done after I sent it.

Finally Will, there is no way in Hell I can "find somebody to run it on their T for a few days and make sure it is alright and correctly adjusted before you send it back." That is just unrealistic.

Your check is in the mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Will,

Very poor taste to air your business dispute here on the forum,
particularly with Stan Howe.

This matter should be handled privately.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Stan,

You Sir are One Class Act ...

Kudos Mr. Howe ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

This is a perfect example of why I don't do NH's.

This is the original order:

If the carb is an old NH that has been rebuilt I can rebuild yours, I won't work on the repop ones that Snyders and Langs sell. $175 includes powder coating.

Or I can sell you a rebuilt one for $225.

Shipping is $20

(Later note: Returned again? with inlet cracked and leaking, float leaking, carb has been apart before return. Sent email telling him I would replace it when I could find a good NH core)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

I need a day off but I'm going back to the shop to finish an OX-2 that is going to Calgary tomorrow, a Rayfield UF that is driving me crazy and this OF that is for a Christmas present. It came in with about a quarter of an inch of old varnish on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Back when I restored musical instruments I would occasionally tell people that I was booked solid for the next four months and they shouldn't leave their instrument in the shop until I saw daylight.

They would often leave it with me any way despite my asking them not to. Then three months later they would ask when I was finally going to let them know their instrument was done.

This was before the Internet. How frustrating it is that people can post such a topic before working it out with a simple phone call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

It comes with the territory, Mark. As everybody knows, there are dozens of people doing exotic carburetors and there is nothing to doing them, making parts doesn't take any time at all and any grade school kid can figure out how to do it.

I have been in the auction business for almost 35 years. When I went to auction school the first guy got up and told us how great it was all going to be. The second guy got up and said, "I'm the guy who is going to try to make an auctioneer out of you." Sit down, shut up, pay attention and thicken your skin because I am going to show you what the auction business is really like." Thicken your skin was the best part of it and some people who couldn't do that didn't last the entire school, they quit and went home, some never had an auction and some quit not too far into the business. Having been an Elementary Principal and Jr High teacher I was pretty used to it, plus I drove truck, roughnecked in the oil patch and played music in every nasty oil field bar west of Minnesota and north of Texas for years. I'd also spent a little time bouncing in bars and ended up in the alley more than once with some SOB who didn't like the way I sang or my rules for the door. 34 years, 411 auctions from Colorado to Canada, Minnesota to the Pacific, it takes more than one old man being snarky to send me home in tears.

BTW, you probably know that my grandfather and father were violin makers and I grew up doing that and did bowed instrument repair work for years. My dad had bad eyesight and I used to help him when I was in my teens and started doing bows when I was still a teenager. I still do just a little bit of it for friends or long time customers but not much. It helped me get through college, tho. You can hair bows at 3 AM after you play music till 2 AM, set the hair and go to bed and get up and check it in time to go to class at 9 or 10 and make more than you could doing a lot of other college jobs. I did a lot of that. I've haired well over 8,000 bows, did all the work for every school orchestra in Montana for about 20 years. I still have my violin shop, just don't do anything in there anymore except the occasional small thing.

Took me 11 years to get a college degree going nights and weekends and correspondence and fixing fiddles (and playing music) paid for a lot of it. I can't work 20 hours a day like I used to, tho. Anyway, telling somebody the Stradivarius their grandfather left them was a $100 Sears and Roebuck fiddle will also thicken your skin.

Back to the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan in Illinois on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

If you want something done on your own time schedule, buy the tools, invest the time, and learn how to do it yourself. Otherwise, be thankful there is someone who is willing to even consider working on it for you.

Reading this post reminded me of when my mom first got on Facebook. She thought she was sending me private messages but was posting to my wall. I'm sure thats what happened here right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

When I bought my Ebay Ruckstell a few months ago, I reached out to Stan for advice and guidance on the assesment of the parts and the rebuild. Even though Stan had nothing invested and nothing to gain, he faithfully sent replies to all of my emails and his help was invaluable.

Stan, you are a class act, thankyou for your contributions to the hobby! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Will, of all the people on the forum you could have chosen to "throw mud at" Stan was probably the worst choice you could have chosen. Ill second Mark's statement. Stan is a class act and a asset to the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

Stan, First off, I had lost your e mail address and I had no other way to contact you. I just wanted to know how things were going as I haven't heard from you in a long time.. The last thing you told me is that you were going to replace it so that's what I was waiting on. At no point did you tell me that you were not going to replace it so I've thought all this time I had a carb coming. If you had no intention of replacing it then just tell me. Chances are very good I would had accepted your reason and or either paid for another carb or moved on to find another on my own. Second, I did say to take your time but I did not realize that meant over 4 months. An e mail or phone call once in awhile could be helpful just to inform a customer of the process. Please feel free to post my e mails as there was nothing derogatory in any of them. There was only a couple and I think one was to the effect that I was very happy to buy a carb from you because of all the work I seen you post and another was just wondering how things were going as I hadn't heard from you at all. I did not mean in any way to turn this into a pissing match. I have never said you don't do good work, It was your professional work and your ethics that convinced me to buy from you in the first place. I was just asking a question. Sometimes you guys really take things way out of context. Calm down and take a breath everybody.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Your Postal Money Order is already in the mail.

Here is the tracking number: 9405 8036 9930 0134 3001 99

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

Will you can get a message to anyone on this forum by clicking on their name. There is a page with their profile and at the bottom of that there is a spot marked Click Here to send a private message.
This feature works very well to message a forum member privately.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

I second Herb's comment about sending a private message via the member's profile page.

I know that things we say and write can be taken differently by others than the way it is originally intent by the originator. That is all the more reason to send a member a private message if you don't have their email address. The forum should be used for informative purposes, and not personal business, especially if a dispute is involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T Thompson on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Not an appropriate way to get attention... with private message options available...

I have ordered a carb from Stan and he has been nothing but friendly and responsive anytime I check in on it. (I'm sure I can be annoying as I'm excited to see it)

I feel bad he has to deal with any stress while providing such an incredible service to people can't / don't want to.

After all it is for my hobby car not my daily driver :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

At the risk of bumping this thread to the top....& not wishing to make any excuses, nor defenses - but desiring to express an understanding that sometimes stress - great stress - causes folks to say (or write) words in a manner that would not normally be done.

I agree with all that has been said about Stan's work. I do not know him personally, although I do like his work, and his writings and have purchased some of both.

Nor do I know Will, however,I empathize with his situation...and can understand the emotional strain he is experiencing....

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/585952.html?1447871490

Hopefully, some understanding of the situation will allow this thread to find its way to the bottom of the pile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Will,

You just made things worse for yourself.

Your thinly veiled attempt to shame a fellow member
who is rightly held in high esteem has backfired.

Take a hint & refrain from posting further on this thread.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

I purchased an OF from Stan earlier this year. I was fully aware of the wait but did occasionally ask if he had an idea of when it would get sent out. I wasn't in a hurry to get it but was just so excited to get one "while they last". Each time I inquired, Stan was very polite and honest as to the status of it. Since I've received it I have had some ignorant newbie questions that I've conveyed by email. Each one has been answered quickly and completely. Many thanks to a great supplier.

(Oh, and before the choke set-up gets questioned, I installed a spring and a small plate at the pivot to prevent the rod from rising in the firewall slot. This allows the choke to work slick with the original set-up.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

I waited four or five months for Stan's last Ruckstell rebuild...it was worth it.

Stan: what is the best carb cleaner to remove the gummy old dried up gas from a carburetor? I am resurrecting a Model A with a zenith carb that has sat for 6 years.

Last question..I need a carter down draft single barrel carburetor body for a display. I want to polish it up and put it into a display case. No guts needed. Thinking 20 something Chevy..would you have one?

Jon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Stan,

I am still waiting for you to send that suitcase full of cash. It's been over a year. Wassup ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

John 8:6-8, well that leaves me out fellows.
"Well, ain't it a small world, spiritually speaking. Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Jon, I use a mixture of carb cleaner, Simple Green and lacquer thinner in my ultrasonic and it will at least soften it up so you can scrape it out and will eventually clean it. If it is old and hard so it will bead blast that is the easiest, if it is still gummy it can be a real challenge.

I'd look for an old Carter YF like they used on the Chevy pickups for years. The car ones tend to have automatic chokes and the pickups hand pull chokes. I might have one if I can think of where it would be. They are usually 5 or 10 bucks on ebay.

John T, since you are quoting the movie, here are a couple quotes of mine -- that come to mind.

From Herman and Freida: By God, Freida, I swear if any one of those three ever had a good word to say about any body or any thing I kiss their bare bottoms in the middle of Main Street in Aberdeen at noon on Saturday and give them 30 minutes to draw a crowd.

It's hard to tell which is the clean end when you're picking up a turd.

They crucified Jesus and shot Abraham Lincoln, what chance have I got.

I like this business except for the proctologist part, I don't like the proctology part.

The loudest boos come from the cheapest seats.

Damn, I'd like to be as good as he thinks he is!

If he was half as smart as he thinks he is he'd still be twice as smart as he really is! (or tough)

Etc. Back to the shop, only 10 PM, couple more hours yet tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:53 pm:

Bringing a personal grievance to a public forum says a lot about the originator of this thread!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 05:47 am:

Hey, at the risk of this thread going back up to the top again, let's give the benefit of doubt to Will. Maybe he didn't see or know about the Personal Message button on the Profile page.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 07:00 am:

Agreed Terry, plus Will & his family have been under stress with the grandson's medical issues ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Will how is your grandson doing? I hope he and the family are doing better. I can't imagine the stress that they are going through. Cancer is a merciless master. Please update us.
Thanks Terry for your more direct approach and for your comments also Bob. I tried with my message but I suppose the book and verse was not enough for reflection but it has something to do with casting a first stone of which I am not eligible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 08:29 am:

My take is that the first 2 sentences are just fine. It was the use of 'What's up/' that created all the ruckus. I do not think that Will meant anything derogatory in his request. The wording just could have been a bit better.

All of us have this problem when we write sometimes. Words can be taken wrong when written and not spoken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 09:20 am:

Yes, probably the wrong venue to ask his question, but honestly, I wouldn't call it an attempt to "shame" anyone. Lots of overreaction here. I would think that anyone's "thick skin" wouldn't even allow them to feel such a pin prick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:00 am:

I agree with Jerry, way too much overreaction over this. I personally don't know how to use the PM button and have been on here for a while. I think Will just wanted an update on the carb he sent back almost a half a year ago. I'm willing to bet the majority of the guys on here are are over sixty maybe it's time to grow up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Most of the times—aw, make that all of the times—I've truly and royally screwed up involved some sincere thing I said that came out the wrong way. _Now, I'm a fairly decent guy whom, at least here, isn't particularly known for hurting other people's feelings, but believe me when I tell you, there is no shortage of people in my little world who have written me off as a horse's posterior. _Would that I could go back in time with a big blackboard eraser and wipe out all the things I've said which, while offered without venom, came out sounding just awful.

Of the folks I've "met" on this forum over the course of six or seven years, 99.9999% are extremely generous folk who only want to help—and that includes those few who and suffer no fools and haven't the inclination to engage in anything other than straight-talk shot from the hip.

Now, being of Sicilian background, I was raised to recognize those times when minding my own business was the very best thing I could do for my own well-being, but this incident became public when the two principles posted it to the public forum. _In other words, we've sort of been invited to sit in judgement. So okay, here's my pair of pennies: I think the odds are stacked astronomically in favor of this whole thing being nothing more than an honest misunderstanding. _Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:05 am:

As always, one of our resident wordsmiths eloquently states the situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:20 am:

The OP has been a member here for almost (4) and is a regular member.

He knows or should know how to PM.

He starts a thread accusing a well respected vendor of selling him a " defective " part.

Based on what I have read - the defect most likely occurred in the installation.

The OP has been refunded by the vendor.

Kudos to the vendor.

The OP has not offered a published a public apology to the vendor - rather an attempt to indicate he had no other way to contact the vendor other than to post this thread.

I don't buy it.

When you point a finger at someone - four more are pointed back at you.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

I'm with Jim. The forum is no place for bashing. I've never had any carb work done by Stan but his reputation procedes him as a fellow Montanian I'd trust him. Easy to slam someone with a keyboard. Have had it done to me. Keep up the great work Stan. We're lucky to have you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Give the guy a break. Most of you would crumble dealing with what he has on his plate. Bad form? Yes. Forgivable? Definitely. Stan is of good stock, and has said his piece, he needs, and from what I see from his character, wants no cheerleaders. He knows how to handle his business. Let this thread die.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Amen, Ed !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 10:16 am:

Freighter Jim , Your last point is exactly why I point at something with all five fingers of my hand. I don't curl the other four back, Ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 11:30 am:

Geez Will, I bet you never thought this would drag on so long. Looks like "No soup for you" for a while.:-):-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Good one Jay. Every time I open this thread I wonder why this bunch just can't let this thing die off. But, hey, I'm still reading it. And now, I've added to it! It's the never ending tragedy.

It's like sitting at the race track and waiting for one of the drivers to crash into the wall. It seems to satisfy that blood lust we all have inside and yet we all have the ability to declare it a horrible thing. And that, turns it into a never ending comedy. Sigh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

Stan rebuilt a straight thru NH for me and I also have a Stromberg OF from him.

Zero complaints and great customer service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

Everyone,
First, let me say that I think Stan's work is absolutely outstanding, and he works harder than any 10 men that I know. I have spent almost $5000 with Stan for several carburetors and a Ruckstell and I am very happy with them all.
Where I seem to disagree with most of you is that businesses should not be reviewed here. EVERYWHERE on the Internet businesses are reviewed, and I believe that is a good thing for the customer and the businesses.
If you go on Amazon to buy something, there are often HUNDREDS of customer reviews good and bad about the product and the business.
I just think that is a healthy thing, and should not be discouraged.
JMHO.
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Jon:

Where on the internet might I find a review of Stan's work (which by the way strikes me as high quality, but I haven't had the need to engage him, so I don't have any first hand experience) other than this site?

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Timothy,
Right here is about as good as it gets! You could always call Stan and ask him...?
I don't think he sells on Amazon, so that is out.
I'm kidding of course.
What you could do is a search of the Forum for Stromberg carburetors. Do it through Google however, since the Forum search engine does not work very well. Include mtfca in your search.
As I have said, Stan's work for me has been outstanding.
Just be PATIENT about getting your order filled. Stan is a very "over-committed" guy!
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

I think this is being way overblown by some of the 'first responders'. Good grief let it go!

I wasn't going to post anything but after a while
it gets just plain ridiculous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

If Will and Stan are happy with what was done as far as a refund and they can move on with their lives I am sure we can.
Stress of the magnitude Will is dealing with right now would cause any of us to screw up on something sometime and later regret it or wish we had be able to do differently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

If I am unhappy with Stan about anything, it's that he's too busy with taking care of his customers to produce another volume of the adventures of Herman and Frieda.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, December 11, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Hear, hear! I mentioned that to Stan once and he said something about needing to spend his time doing "paying work." :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration